The post was selected because it is a common problem that developers face when using Background Tasks on Windows Phone.
The discussion starts with the poster raising an issue on a PeriodicTask that was running at about every 60 minutes, instead of the expected 30 minutes interval. The discussion covers possible conditions that may affect how background tasks are executed and when.
The mechanism was being used to implement “Geofencing” – notifying the user when they approach a specified co-ordinate. An alternative approach was suggested, and it was noted that the upcoming Windows Phone SDK will offer even better support for Geofencing.
Keep those interesting questions coming! That’s what a community is all about!
This article provides an an overview of how to use a filter and it’s limitations. It also explains how they can be misused with the help of an example, and provides a state machine that can be used to handle the user interaction more effectively. All in all, the article explains how to use the Nokia Imaging SDK efficiently with user interactions.
Read this article and learn how to use the Nokia Imaging SDK effectively.
Mac is developing an Windows Phone application and his fonts that are hard-coded in English work fine. But when other languages are added and resources are used, some capital letters randomly do not appear in the correct embedded font either in emulator or in device although they are fine in the XAML editor
Various suggestions and tests followed and Mac decided that he would read the text from the resource file and assign it to the text area directly. He did this to all the upper case letters to avoid the unpredictable behaviour. Later it turns out going into the blend and font manager all the embedded boxes were ticked including the auto fill which seemed to override all the other settings. Setting the autofill OFF fixed this issue.
This discussion was selected for featuring as such random behaviour of upper case font can be pretty difficult to work around.
The Phone Setting API allows Java apps to retrieve phone setting values and to be notified when any of those values change. This article explores the features offered by the Phone Setting API, introduced on the Asha software platform 1.0. Read more in the article here.
UPDATE: You will find an updated version of this post HERE
So what happens if you designed your application to drive a bluetooth device using the Motion class (because the output is less noisy) and then you realize that on the Lumia 520 and Lumia 625 the Motion class is not supported and you have to use the accelerometer. In my case, as i only use pitch and roll, the solution was pretty simple as it is actually possible to calculate the pitch and roll values directly from the accelerometer data. This way I can still use the Motion class and when not available fallback on the data extracted from the accelerometer. To better understand the algorithm behind this transformation have a look at this LINK.
Before applying the transformation I also apply a low-pass filter to remove short-term fluctuations. The difference between the Arduino sample is that the pitch and roll are inverted and also the pitch was 180 degrees off so I remapped the values (when holding in postion 0 it was telling 180 degrees). I also transformed from radians to degrees for easier visualization (the multiplication with 180/Math.Pi)
I have also built a small sample that does comparative plots of the two values using the motion class and the transformation from accelerometer data. Initially I have added also the Microsoft.Devices.Sensors.Accelerometer but the data is almost the same with Windows.Devices.Sensors.Accelerometer with small delays between updates.
Hola a todos! Hoy quiero tocar un tema diferente al lado técnico que siempre estudiamos en el blog: Mejorar el marketing de nuestra app. Una parte importante de la venta de nuestra aplicación es la de conseguir comentarios y puntuaciones. De esta forma indicamos a posibles nuevos usuarios la calidad de la misma, además de obtener un valioso feedback de nuestros usuarios actuales. Por regla general, y esto creo que nos ocurre a todos, cuanto una app funciona mal y no cumple nuestras…(read more)
This is a less than ideal scenario. I’ve made by ViewModel a PCL as an aid to making it easier to write “proper unit tests” (i.e. run within Visual Studio) but now I discover I need to add a map to the app and show a dynamic collection of locations (pins) on the map.
I’m working on a proof of concept app and the requirements are very “flexible” at the moment. Of course I’d plan