If you're using a WAP access point, try switching to an Internet access point with a gateway IP address of 0.0.0.0.
Also make sure that you make the HTTP connection on a separate thread.
Try using Reqwireless WebViewer on your device to check whether the issue is with your code or your connection settings. If WebViewer works, there's likely a problem with your code; if not, there's likely a problem with your connection settings.
about your suggestion to use another thread for the HTTP connection: I have nothing but trouble with that (see my other posts in this forum).
How is the HTTP working for you. No problems? Maybe you have any tips you can share with us on how to get _stable_ http downloads on the 7650.
i think the solution of using new thread works for me. Now the application can work but i have to change the code. Also i need to set a variable in order to let the run() fuction know what network function i need to use. It seems quite inconvenient for us.................
Actually is it a bug of Nokia 7650? If upgrading the firmware can the problem be solved?
I haven't found any stability problems with HTTP on the Nokia 7650, but I've never been able to test on this device since it doesn't work in my part of the world. However, I work for Reqwireless, and we have many Nokia 7650 users of our WebViewer and EmailViewer MIDlets, and we haven't heard of any stability complaints.
We encourage 7650 users to use an Internet access point instead of a WAP access point since HTTP over a WAP access point seems not to work on many 7650s. So if you're using a WAP access point, I would try switching to an Internet access point with a gateway IP address of 0.0.0.0.
Actually I am just a beginner about writing J2ME and the main issus of the problem i mentioned is due to the bug contained in the phone i think.
For all 7650 users, if you really want your program be running smoothly. Be sure to seperate the thread between the main operation and the network operation. This will solve a lot of problem about networking.
I donno whether upgrading the firmware helps the condition or not. But I now can run my program smoothly, just by putting all the network operation into another thread, and it takes me a whole night to complete the whole amendment. My God..............
Anyway, I will try to upgrade the firmware tomorrow at nokia support center and see if it can help anything about the problem.
you saved my life (I think). I'm now using a connection without WAP-gateway and it seems to work perfect.
Thank's a lot for that hint!!
It also had the effect that the data transfer is much cheaper because when using the WAP gateway, I saw in my webserver log that for each HTTP request there was a different IP address. That would mean that the connection is closed after each request and reopened again for the next request. T-D1 in Germany charges a full 10kB block for each new connection even if you transmit only 1 kB.
Without using the WAP-gateway I always get the same IP address (within a time frame of about 1.5 minutes and this looks mch better) which means that the whole 10kB of the block can be used.
Liamq says :
"Try using Reqwireless WebViewer on your device to check whether the issue is with your code or your connection settings. If WebViewer works, there's likely a problem with your code; if not, there's likely a problem with your connection settings."
However, I tried WebViewer with my orange.fr connection settings, which work perfectly well with other midlets (for example HTTPGetter from midlet.org). The strange thing is :
Setting the gateway IP to 0.0.0.0 would not work, neither with WebViewer nor with any other midlets.
Seting the IP to 192.168.10.100 (wap gateway) would make HTTPGetter or midlets I wrote work but not WebViewer.
HTTPGetter can be downloaded at :
As I said in my first post in this thread,
with orange.fr, setting the IP to 0.0.0.0 would result in either case (WebViewer or other midlets) into a -20015 error.
With IP=192.168.10.100 some midlets work (but not WebViewer).
Is there a "howto" somewhere about how to configurate nokia phones for internet with various operators ?
Thanks for your answer.
With WebViewer I am getting a "503" error. More precisely I get an alarm :
Unexpected server response : 503 Wap Gateway Response : application/vnd.wap.wmlc;Charset=iso-8859-1
I just downloaded the program from your website, the version is 3.0.
The point is, as far as I understand, "standard" orange france subscribers only have access to orange.fr (for wap) and orange.acte (for mms) access points. When I use either of these APN with IP=0.0.0.0 with any program I obtain error = -20015 .
When I use orange.fr with IP=192.168.10.100, it works with several midlets. But I have seen that the gateway both transforms the headers (eg : you specify connection=close, the server sees connection=keep-alive) and suppresses headers it does not know of.