You could go about contacting each of the telcos in every region you wish to sell in, but you're probably better off going through a content aggregator or distributor (such as Digital Bridges, Macrospace, etc.). They usually take a high percentage of the game's return (too high, in my opinion) but get you exposed to a greater market.
Well, I'm developing a game (1 programmer! and 1 artist) and I really want to know how to do this too.
Nokia's documents talks about "Nokia Tradepoint" and "Nokia Software Market" but I really don't know nothing about them.
Maybe you already tried it but, download a PDF in Forum Nokia named "Introduction to the Mobile Games Business". It's a good document that show the ways to sell your games/applications in the market for J2ME and Rich Games. This document have a lot of examples and "value chains" graphics. Very useful.
Im not going to tell you what product I released on nokia software market, but i'll narrow down the search for you it was for the Nokia 3650, it takes about a month for your product to be added. then after 4weeks we got 1 sale yes 1, two weeks later we got another, and thats it.
There may be alot of factors governing sales volume but my advice to you is dedicate 1% of time developing and the other 99% selling you game. Honestly you have to work really hard to get any sales in this market, in my opinion because it is saturated.
Sorry I should have pointed out that my product is really an app, but I presume your right about the name thing although I have never heard any official figures on it. I just feel the brand named products are often just a gimic to get noticed or to sell their main product. Although I think digital bridges will accept official named apps alot easier than made up ones if you look at their portfolio.
I think that the best selling phones games have to be really innovative because a phone is not really a gaming platform for many people. Surely only a small percent of people who use phones are interested in games and would far rather have something usefull. I feel the games thing is a hype created by Nokia to sell the right image associated with their phones.
This is not a plug!! but things like the Guitar tuner for your phone are really clever ideas or that first aid guide I both saw on handango. That surely would reach a bigger market than games would?
The only problem with apps are that sales channels seems to be drastically reduced with certain companies only willing to distribute games. A reall shame really because it stops good distribution of them.
I think the best way for a small developer to sell J2ME games is through portal services. handango, like someone previously mentioned is a good way to get an app up for sale on the web, or through cellmania which supports both a web interface and access directly from the wap deck for some major carriers. also what's good about working with these companies is that they have connections with larger providers and they tend to take a smaller rev share than huge companies.
Also, fyi I know some smaller developers with great games that see downloads for Nokia phones exceeding 2000 downloads per month. At around 5 USD per app, this adds up to quite a nice bit of change with the right rev share.
maybe it´s stupid to talk here about my idea about how to sell mobile games but anyway. I´m a person and I developed a Pinball game for the n3650. On my own I can´t sell this game, so I search for people who maybe think my idea is good and join in my concept...
The idea is this: normal kids don´t want to spend any money for their mobile games, if you look at some midlet portals the prices for these games are much to high...
I think the best way for selling such games is find for example a short mobile phone shop, personalize your game with some advertisment for this shop. if this shop sells a mobile phone it should put your game on the phone. For each mobile phone the shop is selling you get some money..
I think this could be in the interest of the mobile phone shop and in your interest...
Why I talk about my idea in this forum? I think there are so many small mobile phone shops, it should be no problem if someone else will start with this idea...
If anybody likes to hear more about my concept, or about the game that I developed, a screenshot of my game can be found at