Are there any devices that currently support JSR 179? I've tried searching but can't find any so I'm guessing none? When are devices excpected to support the api?
Can someone list all other available location apis? I know Motorola has one for java. I'm eager to start development on an LBS app I have in mind and I don't think I can wait until the majority of devices begin to support JSR 179.
to the best of my knowledge none of the device supports JSR-179 at the moment..and if making an application that runs on a large number of phones..then go in for a Symbian C++ application ...as it would give u the location API's and can be used on most of the phones..with a lil bit of customisation for each of the platforms.
Thanks for the reply. I was about to go with the Parlay/OSA java location api. Do you have a link or more on information on where I can go to find more about the Symbian C++ location api? I've tried looking but haven't been able to find anything.
second quater of 2005 is the possible time frame when the new Nokia phones would have support for the same.The Series 60 Feature Pack 2 enabled phones will be having this support.More information can be had from www.Nokia.Com/events..there u will find presentations where Nokia is talking about all this i suppose
Do you have any more information on the C++ location api? So far I've only been able to find code that allows you to retrieve the CellID of the phone but I was expecting something more like JSR179 where you're provided with a getLocation method.
u can get the Cellid with the C++ API for the location name..if that what u looking for..the shortnetworkname() is being used..for that the implementation is non-trivial..i.e. u wont find it in the SDK doc..but there is a way to do it..and there is one class also for that..i dont quite recall which one..i will let u know if i recall it..otherwise the other way would be to request the service provider for that information but then it would cost.
Do you have any links to more information on feature pack 3's support for the location api?
I've been able to find info on feature pack 3 but I haven't found anything saying that it will support the location api.
1. Don't post a new question in a 7 year old thread, but start a new thread instead.
2. Don't post the same question in multiple threads.
3. Use CODE tags in your posts for code (makes it more readable as it keeps the intendation intact).
4. Tell us which phone model you've tried this on (and if it has a built-in GPS receiver, whether it is enabled/on or not).
5. Tell us which network operator you are using (whose SIM card you have).
6. If the phone does not have GPS, call your network operator, and ask them if they support network based location services or not. If not, there's no chance whatsoever that your app will get the location on their network.
7. Tell us how the program does not work in the phone you've tried it on. Does it install? Does it return any errors? Does it return unexpected location info? What?
8. Try it also on a phone with built-in GPS, and which has the GPS enabled (verify it with, e.g., a maps application).