I've been using Codewarrior 3.1 Pro edition for a couple of weeks now, and I'm experiencing a very annoying problem. Pretty often (right now it seems to happen every time) I build something, it compiles, links and then it just freezes for a period of time (around a minute or so), during which time the whole app is unusable. It doesn't actually seem to do anything, it doesn't seem to access the disk or use much CPU. It's like it's waiting for something to time-out.
Other people here have seen this problem on some computers, while it seems to work fine on most machines. Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem might be?
I don't believe that these freezes are related to optimization, as they happen after linking seems to have finished (I doubt that Codewarrior does any fancy object code reordering or anything like that after linking).
It also has a tendency to freeze mysteriously for a minute or two when I open a workspace, which implies that this is not something that's supposed to happen.
I don't know what other information might be relevant in this case. I'm building for the winscw udeb target. This happens irrespective of whether I have other apps running in the background, but most of the time I don't have anything bus or CPU intensive going on. The emulator is not running.
If the Symbolics window is open, it'll happen every time (and when you open the workspace you also get a freeze). The duration of the freeze seems to vary. I don't have any statistics, though.
Is the symbolics window open because you did not complete debug operation. There is something nagging in the back of my head that says this is how it worked with Palm when you closed the debug session rather than ending it, something about the emulator having to time out before it would close things.
Anyway this is a thought and see if it does this if your debug cycle actually ends.
Its not only linking that hangs, a lot of places it just is... slow... as long as the symbolics window is open.
Even things like AutoComplete popup menues are order of magnitudes slower when the symbolics window is open.
As soon as its closed, most things return to normal again.
Since I like to be part of the sollution, instead of the problem, I wrote this very simple little program to solve it.
A bit unconventional maybe, but it does its job.
It will sit in your taskbar and monitor windows.
As soon as you start epoc.exe, it will notice, and then monitor when you close epoc.exe again.
10-20s after epoc.exe is closed, it will close symbolics windows for you.
If anyone is too paranoid to run binaries, PM me and I will give you source code. For the convenient people, here is the binary: