Opera Widget porting example - Google News
This is an example of porting a Opera Widget to Nokia WRT using the guide found here. The example widget will be a Google News Reader widget.
1. Download the .zip package
The Google News zip package can be found by following this link.
2. Unzip the Google News widget archive
The archive needs to be unzipped to make modifications to its contents, so go ahead and extract it.
3. Create info.plist manifest file
When installing a .wgz file the system looks for a manifest file called info.plist. The Opera Widget equivalent is called config.xml.
Here's how to use the Opera Widget config.xml data to create the WRT manifest file:
- Download and unzip this info.plist template file and save it in the widget's root directory.
- Open the widgets config.xml file and find the <widgetname> element. Copy the text found within the element and paste it into the <DisplayName> element of the info.plist file.
- Add the <Identifier> as a random integer 30 digits long.
- Add the <MainHTML> as index.html.
- Leave <AllowNetworkAccess> as </true>.
- Save the file.
4. Find, move and rename the icon
Copy the googlen.png file from the /skins folder, paste it into the root folder and rename it to icon.png.
Upload the widget to your mobile device and install. Here is an example of the ported widget. Remember to change the extension to .wgz before installing.