Webinar Series 40 UI Design
This article is companion for the Series 40 UI design webinars. It contains solutions and proposals for the webinar exercises and discusses open issues which could not be solved during the webinar Q/A session.
Webinar Series 40 Full Touch UI Style Guide, part 1, 28.06.2012 and 04.07.2012
How would this screen look in Series 40 Full Touch?
The original layout in Touch & Type is a canvas because of 2 reasons:
- Lists do not allow different text formatting in one list item, e.g. title with black font and content with grey front is not possible; in addition a line break isn't possible neither
- Lists do not support the use of a Middle Soft Key (also there is no possibility to add an Action Button #1 to Full Touch lists)
The Touch & Type canvas can be transferred into a canvas again. The content layout stays unchanged and Back and Options are replaced automatically with icons. However, the primary function “Add” in the middle soft key (Touch and Type) is replaced with a new icon “plus” (Full Touch). In Full Touch there is more content “above the fold” than in Touch & Type.
Create a sign-in view.
It should contain:
- Setting for auto-fill password
- Forgot password & help
The environment is a Form screen. Username and password are filled via TextField and the Setting for auto-fill is done via a pop-up choice group. This proposal places Help and Forgot password under the Options menu. The login is done via the checkmark in Action Button #1
The environment is again a Form screen with 2 TextFields and 1 pop-up choice group. In addition, there is a StringItem formatted as a Button and a StringItem formatted as a hyperlink. There is no action in Action Button #1.
The second proposal has everything available in the view, but it is not likely that it will work flawlessly with Touch & Type devices. However, since the additional elements in the view (Login button and Help hyperlink) are more prominent, it is expected to reduce interaction bumpers if the design is optimized for Full Touch.
Which component would you use to pick one of the following?
The pop-up choice group in a Form screen offers single selection out of a list. Also the exclusive choice group would have been a good choice. It depends on the environment. Usually collapsing UI elements are preferred if there are many different settings slots in a single view, whereas static UI components are usually preferred in case only few settings slots are available.
Please note, the LCDUI Tumbler (DateField) is not suitable for this task. It only can pick time and date, but no weekdays or any other values.
How would you replace a single choice item (aka switch)?
You may find the following layout from a native application. Unfortunately, the single choice item is not available in the LCDUI.
The proposal is similar to the previous problem, except that the pop-up choice group contains only 2 items. Another solution would be a multi selection choice group with only one item. Also an exclusive selection choice group with 2 items is possible to replace a switch. The choice depends in the end again from the environment:
- pop-up choice group; best if used in a busy layout
- multi selection choice group (1 item), if there is a clear on/off metaphor (e.g. radio on/off)
- exclusive choice group if indicating the correct state is crucial, and on/off is not necessarily the right metaphor (e.g. dim light on/off vs. dimmed light – full light)
- Alerts can have 0 – 3 buttons. Position and layout are predefined.
- StringItem in a Form screen can be dressed as a button or as a labeled button. It is only possible to show one button per row.
- The CustomItem in Form screen can host a button or a button group.
- The full screen canvas can contain buttons. The 4th image shows custom surround-shaped push-buttons with icons and with additional text below the push button. If the button is based on icons it is many times beneficial to add text explaining the action being mapped to the button.
- A canvas with a custom toolbar, as shown in the 5th image. Do not place more than 5 items in a toolbar.
Open issues from Q/A
What happens with the keypad if BT keyboard is detected?
Can text be formatted, e.g. rich text formatting?
How is the image in an ImageItem in landscape orientation being cropped?