The Nokia N9 smartphone, based on MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan, is an exciting addition to the range of Qt-powered phones from Nokia. With support for Qt and web apps, the Nokia N9 phone offers the awesome N9 UI with its revolutionary swipe control scheme and a clean, modern look and feel.
Developing apps with the Qt cross-platform application and UI framework is easy with Qt SDK, especially with the added convenience of Qt Quick components to speed up UI creation. With full Nokia Store integration, the Nokia N9 smartphone is a gateway to high-end technology adopters who have an appetite for new and innovative apps and services.
The power of Qt
The Nokia N9 smartphone is a Qt-powered phone, so creating apps for it is easy: You simply use your existing Qt development skills and harness the power of Qt and Qt Quick. Even if you are new to Qt development, you can get up to speed quickly with the intuitive Qt APIs and the power of Qt Quick for your UI development.
Build richer apps
Qt 4.7 and Qt Quick, with support for N9 UI elements in Qt Quick components, makes it easy to deliver standalone applications for the Nokia N9 smartphone. In addition to the Qt 4.7 features already available for Qt-powered phones from Nokia, the Nokia N9 smartphone offers:
- Qt Quick components 1.0 — a full set of UI building blocks you use in Qt Quick to create UIs with the Nokia N9 look and feel easily.
- Qt Mobility 1.2.0 — adding support for Bluetooth and NFC technology.
- Qt Games API — a Qt-style API for OpenGL ES 2.0-based development.
- OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 — implement 2D and 3D graphics with full access to native APIs.
- PulseAudio and GStreamer — standard APIs for building high-end audio and video applications and plug-ins.
- Telepathy-Qt4 — Qt-style API to implement applications with instant messaging and voice and video call features.
- Accounts and Single Sign On — An easy to use account management framework.
One tool for all
Your development tool is Qt SDK, which delivers all the features you need to create, code, debug, package, and deploy apps for the Nokia N9 phone. When you have the latest version of Qt SDK installed, add the Harmattan target from the experimental options and you will be ready to start developing.
The N9 UI is a brand new approach to touch-screen phone UI design. The N9 UI combines a clean, fresh look with a unique paradigm for navigating between key features of the platform: the swipe. With a single swipe from the edge of the screen, the user can unlock the phone, return to the home screen, and find and activate apps: No hardware buttons, simple one-handed control.
The core of the N9 UI is its three panel home screen offering views for events, installed applications, and open applications. The events view displays continuous updates from the user's applications; including check-ins, tweets, and newsfeeds. Tapping on an event item takes the user deep into the originating application. The events view and the lock screen also deliver key notifications, such as missed calls, calendar events, and IMs.
For applications, the combination of a tab bar and drill down navigation with a toolbar offers fluid access to app functions. Backstacking enables users to retrace their steps within than application.
With N9 UI, you can deliver richly featured apps that are easier and more enjoyable to use, regardless of the sophistication of the app.
Advanced web apps
Nokia Browser for N9 offers you the advanced features of HTML5 and CSS3 along with a range of APIs that enable rich web apps. These APIs include:
- Geolocation — access the location of the user's Nokia N9 for smart location aware apps.
- Touch — add rich multiple touch point and gesture based actions to your apps.
- Media match — ensure rich media matches the capabilities of the Nokia N9.
- Data set — attach data to local DOM elements.
- Class lists — drive a better UI through CSS.
- Selectors — gain better methods for accessing your apps' DOM.
- History — enable your users to easily switch between application states.