Rapidly isolate applications’ power-consumption issues and more
The Nokia Energy Profiler is an application for S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 and later devices. It gives developers and device users information on the following:
- Power consumption, as well as battery voltage and current.
- Cumulative energy consumption.
- Processor activity.
- RAM use.
- IP-network speeds.
- Mobile-network signal strengths.
- 3G Timers.
- WLAN signal strength.
In application testing, this information is used to identify excessive power consumption by an application. By addressing power-consumption issues, developers are able to provide software that performs optimally on S60 devices and that delivers a great user experience.
What’s the latest news about the Nokia Energy Profiler?
Nokia Energy Profiler v1.2 has been released. This new version provides:
- Touch UI support with tap areas, icons, and the ability to scroll graphs by dragging them. In addition, manual screen shots can be taken using the power key on touch-based devices.
- New data collection for:
- WLAN received signal strength in dBm.
- 3G cellular network T1 and T2 timers.
- New graphing features, including the ability to select a time period (the paint graph-area feature), a grey background to indicate the backlight is on, a red line to indicate that a charger is connected, and battery current shown in milliamperes (mA).
- Improved CSV output, including time stamped data items and all data values.
What can I do with the Nokia Energy Profiler?
The Nokia Energy Profiler enables you to measure the power being used by an S60 device and provides details of some key power-consuming tasks, such as CPU, mobile-network, and IP-traffic activity. You use this information to determine the impact a third-party application makes on standby power consumption and to ensure that the application doesn’t make excessive power demands when in use.
Most devices consume the majority of their battery power while in standby mode. Even a small increase in standby power consumption could have a significant impact on overall battery life. You can use the Nokia Energy Profiler to determine the baseline power consumption for a test device in standby mode and, after starting a third-party application, to measure the standby power consumption. Simply compare the resulting profiles to check for any increase in standby power consumption.
While an application is in use, the Nokia Energy Profiler can be run in the background to profile power consumption. To enable easy identification of power-consumption events, the Nokia Energy Profiler can capture screen shots as part of the profile data. This feature enables you to easily link power events to application activity. In addition, the Nokia Energy Profiler provides information on network usage and IP traffic, which can help you determine whether power increases are related to reasonable activity or deficiencies in an application.
The Nokia Energy Profiler External APIs may also be of interest. The APIs in this tool enable third-party applications to capture profile data directly from the Nokia Energy Profiler and to extend its data-capture and reporting features.
How do I get started with the Nokia Energy Profiler?
You need no special skills to start using the Nokia Energy Profiler. Just install the application on any S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 or later device from Nokia and, once it’s installed, you can easily begin profiling and view your results on the device or export them as a CSV file for analysis on a PC.
What help does Nokia offer for the Nokia Energy Profiler?
Nokia offers developers a wide range of professional and community-based help and support services. For help with the Nokia Energy Profiler, first check the Nokia Energy Profiler sticky in the Symbian Tools & SDKs Forum on the Nokia Developer Discussion Boards. You can also request support from email@example.com.
What documents describe issues that the Nokia Energy Profiler can identify?
S60 Platform: Effective Power and Resource Management provides background information on the application design issues that the Nokia Energy Profiler can help you to identify.
With which Nokia platforms and devices is the Nokia Energy Profiler compatible?
You can use the Nokia Energy Profiler to monitor energy consumption on:
- S60 5th Edition devices. See specifications for S60 5th Edition devices ›
- S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 devices. See specifications for S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 devices ›
- S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 devices. See specifications for S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 devices ›