Discussion Board

IMEI, NetworkServices and Hangs

As mentioned in a few posts, certain phone+firmware combinations require the NetworkServices capabilities to retrieve the IMEI - for example on the Nokia N91, a hang is reported to happen if NetworkServices capability is not set:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...2&postcount=15

And on UIQ phones this problem also exists:
    http://developer.uiq.com/forum/kbcli...searchID=35642

Getting a KErrPermisionDenied error is acceptable (one might still have alternatives) but hanging the application is terrible... Since it's very hard to know on which devices+firmware this happens, this effectively means that everyone will have to ask for NetworkServices on install or risk a hang.

Does anyone know more on how to avoid these hangs (if at all possible) ? Otherwise this means pestering users with granting NetworkServices at install - not a good thing if the app doesn't use network services at all (say for example a simple game).
    Regards,

Jorge

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: IMEI, NetworkServices and Hangs

For IMEI you need to have ReadDeviceData, thus it is required to be symbian signed, NetworkServices can be added to the mmp without any problems, and you don't need to explain its usage to the testing house, nor will it be shown to the user when they install symbian signed application, so no problems really.

Though, agree on the point that this sort of thigs shouldn't happen in the first place really, but then again N91 was the first 3rd edition device they designed, so it is understandable from that perspective.

yucca

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,

The Maintenance Release SDK help says that we don't require ReadDeviceData capability for getting IMEI. It's needed for IMSI however.

Following is from SDK help:
    GetPhoneId()
    Capability: None
    I was also thinking about the same.
    Anyways refer to the following link:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=80231

Make me correct if i am wrong.

Kiran.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Damned, I think I should really read the MR release notes one of these days...., I have done some funny things with my SDK, so maybe should clean up everything and check that out with clean environment.

yucca

It appears to require NetworkServices capabilities on some phones+firmwares. The problem is that it's been reported to hang some devices. This is a problem for simple applications like games that might not require any capability by themselves, but need the IMEI to compute the full version unlock code.
    These hangs force the user to be pestered with the NetworkServices capability granting at install which has a scary text mentioning making phone calls and what not. Many user will be put off by these warnings. And signing an game just to be able to reliably read the IMEI number is overkill.

Jorge