Discussion Board

3250: Too many SMSs received crash the application

I am using the push registry to wake up my application on receving sms on a port. When my handset is shut off, and the my application server sends a bunch of sms to the handset, the next time when I power up my application, the phone asks the user "Allow the [application name] to start automactially when needed?'. If I select yes, the application will crash with a message like

App. closed:
    !jes-125-java-com
    ms@1c927a

This doesn't happen, if there like 1 or 2 sms send to the application, but when there more (around 15), it will crash the application.

I even installed the sample WMAdemo application in the SUn Wireless tooklit, and send it a bunch of sms, when the phone was switched off, and switching it on, the application crashed with a similar message.

It seems like this a Symbian error. Symbian is not able to handle more than some (10?) number of messages for a client application.

Has anyone seen this ? Is there a workaround ?

Thanks,
    Kuldeep.

Re: 3250: Too many SMSs received crash the application

Hi Kuldeep,

It seems to be a low-level problem (Symbian) and you will not get workarounds for it.

"This doesn't happen, if there like 1 or 2 sms send to the application, but when there more (around 15), it will crash the application."
    As you're stress-testing your 3250 device, I think it's good information for Nokia and seems to be Symbian error indeed.

Let's see if anybody else has any clue as I cannot figure out the reasons why besides low-level error, or maybe Hartti or Daniel (Experts) might analyze it and report accordingly to their platform team, let's wait...

Hope it helps.

Juarez Jr
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Nokia Developer Champion

Kuldeep, I have not heard of this problem before, and as juarez jr suggested, it seems like system-level problem (that is a guess only).

To avoid this problem, could you send fewer notifications to the phone? I am not sure what your MIDlet does, but if your MIDlets connects to a server after being woken up, you could make sure on the server side that you do not send more than one notification until the MIDlet has "responded" with a connection.

Would that work for you?

Could you also provide the firmware version of your phone (press *#0000# in the idle screen)?

Hartti

Thanks for the reply. My fimrware version number is
    V 3.18
    03-03-06
    RM-38
    Nokia 3250.

I could make the server not send any messages untill the Midlet has responded, but my co-worker told me that wireless carriers don't gaurantee SMS delivery. So the server retries the sending of the sms after a fixed interval. This is reason this retry logic was built into the server.

Nokia Developer Champion

Yep, SMSs can get lost. However instead of fixed interval, it might be better idea to increase the sending interval after each "unsuccessful" message, and return to the initial interval length after "successful" message.

It could make sense to study how the users are using your app and their phones, and tune the interval accordingly. For example during night time it does not make sense to send the notifications ever hour as the user might have turned his phone off and would not get the notifications in any case.

Hartti