Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbiansigned.com --> extremely long waiting period...

Symbiansigned.com is really annoying!!!!!! I submitted a freeware application on December 25, 2006. And... I still have no information about the status of my application... even not in my Symbiansigned-account. The support only told my to wait a "little bit".

That's really not normal. They slow-down the whole development process!!!

Anyone else had similar problems??

Re: Symbiansigned.com --> extremely long waiting period...

Wow, so long.

I submitted my freeware application a few days ago and I similarly have received no confirmation of submission or can see the application status in the 'My Applications' section on symbiansigned.com.

Q. How long will it take the Publisher Certifier to do the testing?

A. You can expect the testing to take 10 -15 days on average. Cellmania is not able to guarantee in advance the time it will take to test and sign every application, but will get back to you with an estimate after submission as part of the standard process.
    I had no idea it would take as long as 5 weeks in your case.
    Ross Savage - Mobile Client Developer

http://www.buddycloud.com

Regular Contributor

Yes... and I'm still waiting... the whole process is completely intransparent...
    as you can see from the reply of Symbiansigned concerning my question below...

Hello,
    Thanks for your email.
    Currently, In freeware submissions, the submitted applications will appear on the list only after they were approved and signed. Also, no confirmation email is sent to acknowledge the submission.
    You will see your application after it has finished the process.
    Regards,
    The Symbian Signed Team

Super Contributor

Hi guys, I am a freeware developer too. I had similar problem with all of you guys. The freeware submission took so long (sometimes more than 5 weeks). I have posted a concern about this issue on my blog, http://mobile.antonypranata.com/2006...an-os-s60-3rd/

Last time I submitted my application, I was quite "lucky". Right after I publish my blog posting, a guy from Symbian contacted me. He said that my application will be signed soon. It seemed he tried to push testing guy to speed up my application signing. Guess what... I got my signed application a few days later.

IMHO, Symbian Signed process for freeware needs to be improved. I have tried my best to spread this problem through this forum, my blog, etc. It seems they haven't improved the process yet. Well, it may not be their best interest because they don't make money from freeware applications...

Antony

Regular Contributor

You know what? I'm still waiting for the certification (soon 2 months)!!!! Symbiansigned.com still promises me that they will sign the application but don't want to be directly responsible for it... I received the following mail one week ago:
    It does look like long time has passed.
    Unfortunately, the actual testing is not in the hands of Symbian but in the hand of the test house.
    However, we can check it again with them and we will let you know asap.
    They really have to improve the signing process... I only read some really not confidential information from the network (cellID, signal strenght) and that's why I've to sign and wait for distributing it...

Super Contributor

I fully agree, the process has to be improved. Otherwise I am afraid many developers will migrate to Windows Mobile or Linux.

Not sure if any Symbian guys read this posting. If yes, please do something.

Antony

Super Contributor

I suggest you also talk to "Symbian guys" on symbian.com (this forum is part of nokia.com and Nokia, while Nokia owns a piece of Symbian Ltd, does not control/manage how Symbian and Symbian Signed operate):
    http://developer.symbian.com/forum/forum.jspa?forumID=2

Super Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try.
    Last time, I have posted my concern on Symbian's newsgroup (it was last year).

Antony

Signing a commercial application is also a very painful process. No wonder it's even more painful for freeware.

IMHO the more third party application you have on the market the more attractive Symbian smartphones are, therefore Symbian benefits directly from the volume of 3rd party applications.

It's been 5 weeks already since we first tried to upload our application on SymbianSigned.com and my guess is that it will take at least another week or two for the second round testing to complete.

Signing right now involves talking to Symbian people, Nokia people (you guys review the waivers AFAIK) and test house people. It takes a lot of time and effort from engineering and management teams.

Please work together to make it easier for 3rd party

Regular Contributor

Now my application "PhoNetInfo" got finally signed (after a waiting period of 3 months!).It runs on Symbian S60 3rd edition mobile phones

For all those who are interested, it's available here:
    http://www.patrickfrei.ch/phonetinfo/

PhoNetInfo is a software that retrieves detailed phone and network information. In detail, information about the following topics can be retrieved:
    • General (phone manufacturer, model, firmware version, battery level, etc.)
    • Running tasks
    • Active profile settings
    • Network (signal strength, cell ID, etc.)
    • Hardware abstract layer (HAL)