Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

IPhone does everthing. Will developers really want to develop on this device?

Hi All,
    Will developers ever really want to develop on this device after this video.

I cannot believe that this will be a "Serious" contender to Nokia, well not after this video gets out. The most serious bit is in the last few seconds when they come to describe the "ease" of using the phone to make a call

Have a look at the video at

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...hone-ad-p1.php

There is a commentary and prepare to laugh.

Thanks,
    Jim

Re: IPhone does everthing. Will developers really want to develop on this device?

Hi Jim,

Ha, ha, ha really funny indeed, one of the best videos in 2007 so far

Thanks for posting, relieved my tensions and stress

Best,

Juarez Jr
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Super Contributor

Re: IPhone does everthing. Will developers really want to develop on this device?

Jim,

Hahaha.....That was quite funny.....Mouse trapp.....portable shower.......Hard to use cell phone........haha.... cannot stop my laugh! Hope Nokia guys would love this video! []

If our Moderators did not remove this post, Please keep posting similar funny gadget stuff!

Regards
    Gopal

This is very tempting, and I have no doubt that the iPhone is truly a great device, but one thing that I haven't heard is about the phone service plan. Apple and at&t are not saying much about it, and honestly I don't want to be tied-in to an expensive and long term service plan. For me this will be the deal breaker.

http://www.dvdtoiphoneconverter.org/

iPhone is a revolutionary new mobile phone that allows you to make a call by simply pointing your finger at a name or number in your address book, a favorites list, or a call log

http://www.mp4-converter.net/iphone-...deo-converter/

Nokia Developer Moderator

and where was the revolutionary part ... ?

yucca

Hi,

I have the same doubt as yucca, I do not think iPhone is that revolutionary. And being a closed environment (no dev APIs) and event locked to some operators, I am afraid this is not a good strategy. Let us wait

Br,
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I agree with yucca this is not revolutionary, Iphone is only to be sold through companies with a large local presence AT&T for U.S. and O2 in the UK.
    Why did Vodafone CEO turn down the chance. Does Vodaphone forsee a "cash drain", seems like pointing a finger at the Iphone and found it wanting for 3G connectivity. A phone costing same as an Nokia N95 (in £ UK)without 3G and only using EDGE is backwards not revolutionary. Even some Apple developers are
    Jim

I think the revolutionary thing is the UI. Of course, whether or not it is better is in the eye of the user.

Clearly, the features are lacking, but I'm sure it will still sell well.

I wonder what impact it will have on other aspects of, particularly, the US market. I think it will open people up to considering similar phones - ie get them more used to spending that kind of cash on a phone.

Perhaps it'll help open up the market to unlocked phones somehow...

I was hoping it might have a positive effect on IDEs, but clearly my hopes are dashed on that front.

Nokia Developer Moderator

yep, haven't got to use the phone, but heard that the UI's are really nice, S60 has been getting better and better, but still has a long way to go to get it really nice & easy-to-use at the same time, good to have different devices, they always make rivals think, thus providing progress, which is always welcome.

Nokia haven't been selling that much in USA, thus I would consider that in short-run biggest loser in Motorola, and it might be that it creates awarness among consumers, thus might do good in real-smartphone sales, but that remains to be seen...

yucca

Super Contributor

hi,

The video is funny but this not a way that technological features devleoped by any company must be due respected. Well iPhone is very rich interms of its UI ,its revolutionary. Well any devices that wants to survive in market should have good and easy handling of UI which iphone does very well.

when Nokia has launched first symbian device the user's liked its Ui and other features of the device and then on the development went on to make it more better device.

so do i expect iphone development to be open source so that the developers can write their own applications on device..

wht i'm looking for in future that the next phone of apple is wroth while to look for and wht it brings..

coz as per the sales of the iphone is good too...

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Super Contributor

The iPhone will cause a "revolution" BUT NOT THE WAY YOU WANT, or the branded operators who take this phone on.

So is the iPhone to win this title of "Most hackable phone". This phone may be a little bit more "Open" than expected.Read on

The iPhone has been hacked to "unlock" and make it work in EUROPE,where the phone has yet to be launched. The version from AT&T US has been hacked already. This announcement was sent out today.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/show...?t=2215&page=8

A group of Apple hackers has launched a "tutorial" on modifying a SIM to allow long calls, one to one calls and SMS. A hardware "unlock" was done on the phone.

How long has that taken to hack into (5 weeks). This will cause concern

Hi,

Just tested it - works fine with Orange UK - Call In/Out, SMS In/Out. Great job to
    everyone who made this possible (specially to the guy that edited the Hex file).

I used the subscriber ICCID, so maybe is best to edit the tutorial - activation should
    be the last step.

My thoughts on safety of using this: If so called 'Total Unlock' is released, it will be
    probably patching of the baseband firmware to do a similar thing. So no worry about
    alerting the network, the trick seems to fool only the good/bad guy check in the
    baseband firmware.
    How long before iPhone users start getting billed for other peoples usage!.

I expect the so called 'Total Unlock' has or will be released and when it does there will be chaos.

My worry for developers is that amount people ignoring others Rights will result in applications getting reverse engineered and Copyrights broken very quickly resulting in financial loss and intellec property rights loss.

Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2007-08-06 at 14:14.

I'll still stick to Nokia; of course, we're talking about Nokias, right? Besides, my mom's 6300 can do more than the iPhone, it's no wonder why Tom Dickson of "Will It Blend?" decided to blend an iPhone...
    "We love Him because He first loved us." - 1 John 4:9-10

Super Contributor

Well I supose the "re-locking" of iphones was bound to happen after all Apple did say that it would happen. The implications are that Apple does *NOT* want third part developers.

This is the rants from unhappy iPhone owners:-

The idea that Apple has screwed over or even somehow been rude to the grassroots iPhone developer community is absurd. Apple never asked for nor encouraged iPhone software development, and the fact that it happened anyway put Apple under zero obligation to support it.
    Really gonna get support with this attitude then!

The original from Rob Griffiths Editor MacWorld :-
    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...o111/index.php

One last bit from Griffiths:

Of course, consumers still do have a choice, but that choice is to purchase a competing brand’s smart phone. Is that what Apple really wants us to do?

Yes, actually. If “third-party software development” is one of your requirements for a phone, buying something other than an iPhone is exactly what Apple wants you to do. Just like if you “require” a hardware keyboard, compatibility with proprietary Microsoft Exchange email servers, freely-customizable ringtones, removable faceplates, or any other features or capabilities the iPhone lacks.
    We all know a phone that does all this its called a Nokia E61.

To paraphrase Macworld article

Yes, actually. If “third-party software development” is one of your requirements for a phone, buying a Nokia N95 is exactly what Apple wants you to do
    ...and Apple's reply in full is at:-
    http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09...lock/index.php

After the 1.1.1 patch was installed it wiped out all of the third-party applications he had installed on a second iPhone, he said
    Bye, Bye all the apps you got hold of!!

Users also could not navigate through the iPhone’s menus. The “Slide for Emergency” slider is the only thing available after installing the update. This allows customers to make emergency calls only.

So look on the bright side for us (Forum Nokia Developers), Nokia supports us and development. Our Nokia phones dont change into expensive paper-weights overnight

PS Just noticed as of 1st October 2007 Large price cut in iPhone price slow sales, Wonder Why!

So much for style little or no substance,
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2007-10-03 at 11:14. Reason: update UK Price cut,wonder why?

Super Contributor

Well iPhone has lauched at 18:00 GMT (London). There has been queues. The first complaint was that you cannot record video, which the N95 can. The iPhone changes from vertical to horizontal just by turning the screen. The N95 need to move the slider. The N95 uses 3G to download video and websites. The iPhone oddly enough has this but o2 have chosen not to use this even the hackers made this work on European telcos.

Apple makes much of integration with iTunes, against other phone which according to Apple other phones. Bad news Apple, there is a free application called "iTunes Agent" which links with many phones and MP3 players including the Nokia N95.
    see http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...es-Agent.shtml. The source is probably available and could be tailored even more tightly

Finally the price latest Nokia N95 pre paid is £350 on 12 month contract its free now.

The iPhone is £265 up front payment the £35 pounds a month for 18months (£630). Thats £895,$1,800 USD, 1,300 Euros and how many phones could I get for that, but thats fashion and style.

The interface is innovative, but you could by the latest iPod which had the same interface 8 months ago.

The marketing is extremely good and Carphone Warehouse is worried if it will sell all and will have little stock of 0.5 Million phones left for Christmas, but this is dwarfed by Nokia 5 millions Nokia N95 in last few months.

Well we all know Apple wants developers to work on another phone having block their phones so lets get back to making great new applications for our Nokia phones :-))

Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2007-11-09 at 21:05. Reason: add cruurency