Discussion Board

Sprite display problems with Nokia 6280

I'm developing a game using J2ME and testing the application on my Nokia 6280. The problem: the sprites used in the game are offset by a few pixels in both directions. I've tested the game on the Sony Ericcson K800i with no problems and upon research have discovered this problem arises with Series 40 Nokia phones.

How can I correct the problem? Games I've bought online for the Nokia phone all work fine, so why do I have the problem? If there is a correction could example code be given?

I've read in a previous thread of a supposed solution:
    "I use setPosition() and setRefPixelPosition() to position the sprite. your sprite is at position (x,y) and its refpixels position is (m,n) and the transform goes wrong on a s40/3rd device to get it work locate your sprite at (x+m, y+n) instead, this will work in your case: to overwrite setTransform doesn't makes sense to me, only overwrite setPosition() and add the refpixel coordinates there additionally may be you want to overwrite setRefPixelposition too, because it could be helpful to recall setPositon there"

If my sprite (11*11) is located at (50,50) and it's reference pixel is (5,5) then I should position the sprite at (55,55)? I can't see how this would work; it would just reposition the sprite with the original problem intact.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by surajkumar; 2007-01-29 at 14:18.

Super Contributor

Re: Sprite display problems with Nokia 6280

surajkumar,

This is related to this known issue
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...Ed_devices.htm

So you need to position the sprite on these devices without using the refpixels at all.

Hartti

Re: Sprite display problems with Nokia 6280

Thanks for your reply Hartti.

The main sprite I use is one which is rotated. So I guess I'd have to redesign the frames to accomodate lack of the define/set RefPixelPosition methods.

In regards to writing my own sprite positioning method I guess I'd have to only use setPosition() and if needed add the reference pixel position to this. If that is the case then there is no need to write a new sprite positioning method because all that is done is setPosition() is called with modification.

Am I making sense? What do you think? I can't see how I can create my own sprite positioning method without calling setPosition().

Thanks.

Suraj.

Smile Re: Sprite display problems with Nokia 6280

The problem is solved by updating the software (firmware) of the phone. Mine is now Version 6.10 and I'm on the Three (UK) network. They did the upgrade for free as I was within my warranty period of one year. The phone works fine and the sprite display issue regarding setRefPixelPosition() is now fixed.

Suraj.