Discussion Board

Thread: S60 platform

Regular Contributor

S60 platform

Here are some of the suggestions that I think should be available in future platforms;

* support for native functions from javaME
    * As cell phones are used BIG time out there for new media research and development, developers should be able to disable any keys on the phone they want not just the whole key pad

*Camera API should be able to take better shots with javaME. Right now it only takes thumbnail size photos.

* You should be able to specify in the jar file about the permission domain the application falls in so that the developer will not have to change suite settings every time after installing an application.
    Rupinder Deol

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: S60 platform

Thanks for your feedback, desijatt!

"* support for native functions from javaME"

Requires CDC, we won't see this on CLDC-based devices.

"* As cell phones are used BIG time out there for new media research and development, developers should be able to disable any keys on the phone they want not just the whole key pad"

I do not exactly understand this. Are you referring to the fact that red key (end call -key) cannot be detected by the MIDlet? Can you please elaborate?

"*Camera API should be able to take better shots with javaME. Right now it only takes thumbnail size photos."

Requirement in MSA specification, section 6.5.3.7
    "Implementations MUST support the same resolutions for image capture as supported by the system camera applications of the phone."

"* You should be able to specify in the jar file about the permission domain the application falls in so that the developer will not have to change suite settings every time after installing an application."

This should be defined in the MIDP spec. Have you submitted this requirement to the drafting group?

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Thank you for you response.

>>I do not exactly understand this. Are you referring to the fact that red key (end call -key) cannot be detected by the MIDlet? Can you please elaborate?

*I meant developer should be able to lock the keys just like the keypad lock does but the keyLock function locks all the keys but I need to lock only some keys that I don't want users to press by accident and ruin the experience(I am talking new media art here). At the very least I think I should be able to lock/disable the "end call" key so that the application doesn't completely turn off.

>>Requirement in MSA specification, section 6.5.3.7
    "Implementations MUST support the same resolutions for image capture as supported by the system camera applications of the phone."

**I did not understand your answer too well but all I can say is that I am developing for N70 which has a decent built in camera application. However when I use the same camera using J2ME it only takes small images at very low resolution. Also I noticed couple days ago that Advanced Multimedia Suppliment API does provide some more control but I don't think my phone supports it.

>>This should be defined in the MIDP spec. Have you submitted this requirement to the drafting group?

** I am not sure what you are saying here on this one. please elaborate. thanx
    Rupinder Deol

Nokia Developer Champion

Ok, I understood the keypad issue now.
    This could be suggested to the platform development team / standard specification team (MIDP3 comes to my mind), but this behavior will not become available to the current phones.

The MSA reference for the camera issue was that in the future, the new devices which support MSA specification, will have the same, high camera resolutions also available for Java ME applications.
    MSA is a umbrella specification listing a number of APIs and including some detailed requirements for the APIs, which the phone has to implement in order to say it is MSA compliant. This is an industry initiative to cure the Java platform fragmentation. This will not retroactively affect the old/current devices. Their capabilities stay as they are, as upgrading/extending the MIDP environment is not possible.

About the permission domain issue
    MIDP specification defines the Java ME security policy (part of it is just recommendation). Currently the MIDP3 specification is being drafted and the early draft review closes in few days. The current policy (and also the MIDP3 policy) is based on certificates and signing, which effectively place the MIDlet to a certain domain.
    Additionally, the MIDP2 security policy recommendation, and MIDP3 security policy defines certain default access rights to each of the protection domains.

Your suggestion is that the developer could just define which domain the MIDlet should be installed (or which api accesses right it wants), which breaks the Java ME security totally. It is unlikely that the MIDP3 specification would allow that kind of open access to restricted APIs, but that is the only way to go forward (submitting a proposal during the early draft review).

Does this explain my comments at all?

Hartti

Nokia Developer Champion

And how to begin influencing things like what goes into MIDP 3.0, etc., the starting point is http://www.jcp.org/en/home/index

Posting here doesn't start the process of considering a feature in MIDP 3.0 or any other JSR (unless there's someone else that picks up the issue here and pushes it through the JCP processes). So, if you want to push new Java features, drive them through JCP.

Regular Contributor

I am thankful to both of you for the insights.

I think I didn't clearly say my question about security stuff. I actually want to say that after you install a signed midlet suite on the phone, it chooses default setting by default and I have to manually change all these settings to allow interruption free flow of my applications. is there any way around it?? I have been trying to find a way to change this but didn't find out where I should change this.
    Rupinder Deol

Nokia Developer Champion

The MIDP spec itself allows somw wiggle room (but does not require it)
    "The device MAY enhance and simplify the user experience by applying a single set of configuration settings
    (default or other), not just to a single MIDlet suite, but to all MIDlet suites for a given signer. This option
    MUST NOT compromise the function groups and available settings defined in Table 1. If such an option
    exists, the user will be prompted to save the settings and reuse them in the future for MIDlet suites from the
    same signer. Such a feature MAY also inform the user that a given source has already been accepted and has
    an alias to the saved configuration settings. For each application, the implementation MAY read requested
    permissions from the MIDlet-Permissions and MIDlet-PermissionsOpt attributes, notify the user which
    capability the application requires, and prompt the user to accept or reject installation of the application.
    Implementations that support this kind of a feature MUST inform the user during application installation that
    the security settings for the given signer has previously been saved on the device and will be applied for the
    newly downloaded application."

I am not aware if there are any phones allowing this kind of behavior.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Actually I read that in the midp spec yesterday and started wondering it might be possible. thank you for you valuable answers buddy. Let me put you on my buddy list if thats ok as you are the one who mostly endup answering my questions.
    Rupinder Deol