Discussion Board

Exclamation Very chaotic approach in giving the sensitive capabilities

Dear Nokia! Don't know where else to ask but I am getting more and more angry on this certificate mess.
    I am using comm ports in CSD data calls in my application and everything was OK until I met Symbian 9.1. Since that moment I keep getting screwed again and again. Let's see what we got - we got this article clearly showing that dataport can't be opened because it needs some sensitive capabilities:
    http://forum.nokia.com/document/Foru...sionDenied.htm
    We have nokia.testing crew that kept asking some strange questions until I totally made clear for them that in order to make data call or at least open the dataport I need these capabilities! You know, they should be there to know what needs what - and it shouldn't be me who has to write programs, examples, and study tons of documentation to prove that dataport work needs CommDD and NetworkControl capabilities! And, after I sent them a SIS file showing the lack of needed capabilities, sent them a capability request form and provided them with all the links on our company and anything else they asked me to, I got no answer at all! I sent two more letters with additional arguments and still got no answer. It's almost a week since their last letter, what should I do? Just wait without any sign of progress? You know business is all about money the slower the development the more expensive the product is! And I do not understand why can't I DEVELOP while everything else is being sorted, why can't I receive at least 1-IMEI certificate with CommDD capability for me to work further, emulator won't help, it doesn't have the dataport! What application testing is going to take place when there is no application to test because I cannot write it? I hope this ends well, Nokia's slogan is "Connecting people", not "Keeping people disconnected because of the lack of certificates", right?

Regular Contributor

Re: Very chaotic approach in giving the sensitive capabilities

NetworkControl Grants the right to modify or access network protocol controls
    19-12-06 Fast-Track signing process now available
    The Fast-Track signing process is now available for developers. This service is provided by NSTL.

https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/pa...w/latestNews#8

What a wonderful surprize! Although, unfortunately, we have already shifted towards Windows Mobile platform for their much more delicate approach to the developers. The ACS Publisher ID we were supposed to get fast was not received due to the bureaucratic nature of Verisign Inc., who kept asking for new and new papers showing we are a trustful company and not a goat, and after two months of useless paper mess they canceled our request and made us to restart it... Well, maybe some day we will get the ACS and be able to write the apps for 9.1, but now... goodbye, Symbian.
    I hate M$ but this case is much worse.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I have been really happy how the Sensitive capabilities have been working lately, Basically they ask difficult questions, since they want to make sure that you actually need the capabilities and have capabilities on making a commercial quality finalized product.

In my experience, is that if you provide accurate information they work supprisingly fast, a lot better than my first experiances last year. Anyway, it always helps to talk to Nokia if you are Pro-Member, so maybe you would like to consider that options as well.

yucca

The Nokia itself was working great, it took me a week or two of intensive dialog to prove that my app needs the capabilities in order to work well and to prove it's not some bad thingie, but the process of receiving the ACS pub ID took months and is not over yet, and you need one in order to d/l the developer certificate with extended capabilities, you should know that. Maybe it's because we are Russian company and our format of document is different, as well as the language but whatever the reason is, months of development in terms of business is too much for a small phone app that does a simple data call.