Discussion Board

Very slow when loading html with .js file (or js script embedded) from raccoonn

Hello,
    When I try use S60 webkit browser to load a html include .js file(from racconn). The page rendering take a long time to complete. But if I put this file on another server(other than raccoonn, but on internet) it get very fast.

I try to change .js file from:
    -------
    <script type="text/javascript" src="somescript.js"></script>
    -------
    to
    ------
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
    //script body
    </script>
    ------
    The browser still take much longer time to load from raccoonn (3 times longer than other server), did anyone have the same problem like me?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Very slow when loading html with .js file (or js script embedded) from raccoonn

Quote Originally Posted by fuming
    The browser still take much longer time to load from raccoonn (3 times longer than other server), did anyone have the same problem like me?
    What kind of connection are you using? 2.5G, 3G or WLAN? If you are using WLAN, do you access your phone directly or via the gateway?

The bandwidth of a cellular network is much narrower than that of a fixed network (WLAN as well) and the latency is much higher. Further, when going over the gateway, the first request will involve an extra roundtrip from the gateway to the phone, adding more to the latency.

Re: Very slow when loading html with .js file (or js script embedded) from raccoonn

I use 3G and WLAN ,the same problem occur
    I have to clear my question again,

I use webkit(s60)on nokia N93 to access localhost(127.0.0.1) which is raccoonn server, and the html page has some static content.

but whenever I have a line of code in html like:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="somejs.js"></script>
    it takes some long time to load, but if I remove this line , and embedded the 'some.js' content in between <script type="text/javascript"></script>, it get much faster.

You can try this, when loading a page from raccoon (using webkit s60), while page loading, the loading bar will hang at some point, (I guess it's loading js file).
    and complte in another few seconds,

BUt it's weird that if I move the js file to other server(other than 127.0.0.1), the browser will load musch fater.

* hope that I make my question clear,

Nokia Developer Expert

hope that I make my question clear,
    Yep, I think I got it this time.

I have a hunch where the problem might be, so could you please try the following. In \Data\Apache\conf\httpd.conf change
    Code:
    KeepAlive On
    to
    Code:
    KeepAlive Off
    Does it make any difference?

Thanks....this solve my problem, thanks again jhnwkmn.

Another question is, if I intall raccoonn as a localhost, it always prompt with
    connection selection,(either 3G or WLAN to choose AP connection). Can we avoid this step, or is it just the way webkit s60 browser operate? Does it support loopback and not looking for AP connections?

Thanks again.

Nokia Developer Expert

Thanks....this solve my problem, thanks again jhnwkmn.
    Well, thank you for confirming that there is a problem with how persistent connections are handled. When using the gateway this is not an issue, because the connector (that talks with the gateway) explicitly disconnects after each request so as not to allow any particular browser to monopolize the single-threaded web-server.

Another question is, if I intall raccoonn as a localhost, it always prompt with
    connection selection,(either 3G or WLAN to choose AP connection). Can we avoid this step, or is it just the way webkit s60 browser operate? Does it support loopback and not looking for AP connections?
    You mean the webkit s60 browser always prompts for an AP? Sorry, I have never used that browser so I don't know whether that step can be avoided.