Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[announce] RaccoonOnMap: Raccoon + Google Maps

Hi,

RaccoonOnMap is a Google Maps mashup utilizing the Raccoon Mobile
    Web Server to show your location on the map. Works with and without
    bluetooth GPS device. Put your raccoon on the map!

http://raccoon.openlaboratory.net/RaccoonOnMap

When Johan had the first version of Raccoon available, we here in
    Nokia started thinking of how to offer web services via your mobile
    phone. We created a small Python script to the Raccoon to offer location
    info (GPS and GSM cell id). And since we love mashups we combined
    the location data to the Google Maps. The internal demo was quite
    successful, so we thought to make the demo public as well. RaccoonOnMap
    is an example of services you can offer from your own mobile web
    server.

The service is beta -- rough and buggy. Prepare for the unexpected.

Enjoy,
    Timo

Re: [announce] RaccoonOnMap: Raccoon + Google Maps

Hello,
    I've installed raccoonloc.py on my Nokia 6630, where I'm running raccoon_bundle_0_9_0_with_pys60_1_3_17_2ndEdFp2.sis.
    Where I call "mod_python/py/raccoonloc.py/getLoc" I get a "500 Internal Server Error", error.log says:

[Tue Feb 06 22:01:31 2007] [warn] (88)Function not implemented: apr_socket_opt_set: (TCP_NODELAY)
    [Tue Feb 06 22:01:32 2007] [notice] mod_python: Creating 1 session mutexes based on 0 max processes and 0 max threads.

What's wrong?
    Thanks,
    Ernesto Ferrari

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto.ferrari
    What's wrong?
    I don't know, but the two entries from the log are not related to the problem... Have you tried calling the script locally from the browser of the phone? Is there a difference?

Johan

With the 0.9.2 release of unsigned sis files with all the capabilities and signing them with a devcert, it now works on 3rd Ed phones. With the proper modification to the python script of course.

Quote Originally Posted by lakiolen
    With the 0.9.2 release of unsigned sis files with all the capabilities and signing them with a devcert, it now works on 3rd Ed phones. With the proper modification to the python script of course.
    Indeed it does! I just tried this myself. The 3rd Ed phone owners should edit the raccoonloc.py script readLocation() function. It should simply be:

Code:
    	def readLocation(self) :
    			(mcc, mnc, lac, cellid) = location.gsm_location()
    			(self.mcc, self.mnc, self.lac, self.cellid) = location.gsm_location()
    I will test that everything works with the 3rd Edition phone and update the script in the RaccoonOnMap.

--Timo

Ok, I updated the raccoonloc.py script so the script now works for 2nd Edition S60 as well as both 3rd Ed. self signed and developer signed Raccoon.

If you have 3rd Ed. phone and have taken the steps to acquire the developer certificate (from http://www.symbiansigned.com), you can follow the RaccoonOnMap installation instructions to drop the raccoonloc.py into your apache Python module directory in you mobile, e.g. c:\data\apache\mod_python\py\

If you have self signed Raccoon in a 3rd Ed. phone the script returns 0,0,0,0 as your GSM cell id.

The Symbian developer certification process looks quite scary, but if you reserve some time and a cup of coffee it is doable...

Installation instructions and raccoonloc.py script: http://raccoon.openlaboratory.net/Ra.../doc/setup.php

--Timo

Could someone tell me who Follow the White Rabbit is? He / she sure does get about a lot! Is it a phone strapped to the top of a miniCab?
    Last edited by fortina; 2007-02-13 at 15:54.
    Part of the design and development team at Pixel8 Design in Manchester, UK
    http://www.pixel8limited.com
    http://graham.brown.at.openlaboratory.net

Wink Re: [announce] RaccoonOnMap: Raccoon + Google Maps

Ahhhh.... just taken another look and being the typical geek that I am I decided to run a trace while reading Stuff Magazine and noticed the pattern.... so which bus route is it attached to?
    Part of the design and development team at Pixel8 Design in Manchester, UK
    http://www.pixel8limited.com
    http://graham.brown.at.openlaboratory.net

Quote Originally Posted by fortina
    Could someone tell me who Follow the White Rabbit is? He / she sure does get about a lot! Is it a phone strapped to the top of a miniCab?
    Hehe, White Rabbit never stops! Rabbit is a script to have someone always online on the service. I made a drive around the city with our car and uploaded the track into the server and made a small script to read the trace.

--Timo

I everything installed on my N91 is it worked great. I was in Thailand when I set it up and today I flew into Beijing and it seems that the latitude & longitude returned is correct. It is showing me in Saint-Pierre & Miquelon Latitude: 46.783710777778 Longitude: -56.200122222222 instead of Beijing...

Any idea ?

Thanks. Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by psero
    I everything installed on my N91 is it worked great. I was in Thailand when I set it up and today I flew into Beijing and it seems that the latitude & longitude returned is correct. It is showing me in Saint-Pierre & Miquelon Latitude: 46.783710777778 Longitude: -56.200122222222 instead of Beijing...
    Ups, my typo. I had inserted wrong coordinates for China. Since you are not using GPS device, RaccoonOnMap tries to guess your location based on the cell id. And since RaccoonOnMap doesn't have (yet) any data from China the best it can do is to place you in the middle of the country. Still quite far away from Beijing but at least you are now in the correct continent!

--Timo

Hello!
    Today I installed everything as per manual on a Nokia e65 with an external "Wintec G.Rays I" bluetooth GPS Module. Server works. Racoon works on phone, but doesn't show location on RacoonOnMap. I appear as a user but show as last seen: never. The BT - Console connects to the GPS without problems. Satellite reception perfect, I can use other GPS programs. Are there any scripts in Python that need to be customized? Since i run OS X I am currently unable to run the devcert request to at least have the cells.
    Thanks in advance and greetings to Harvey (The white rabbit)
    Poidi
    (LaLinea)

Hi Poidi,

Recheck your 'Location URL' settings. It should be the format of:
    Code:
    http://yourname.at.openlaboratory.net/mod_python/py/raccoonloc.py/getLoc

or 

http://www.at.openlaboratory.net/~yourname/mod_python/py/raccoonloc.py/getLoc
    Visit the 'My Account' tab in the documentation pages and make changes there. That should make you appear on the map!

--Timo

Timo! Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, and yes I am on the map now... Looks kind of stupid now that I know what the problem was. By the way, no I am not drunk, nor is anyone chasing me, it is the erratic behaviour of my gps unit zigzagging around. Next step: Devcert.
    Greetings
    Poidi
    (LaLinea)

Timo!
    How come it doesn't work on neither nokias browser nor Opera? On Nokias browser it opens up to the list then crashes... Would being able to reply to messages directly be feasible?... Would a Webcam refreshrate be implementable? Could a cell trigger be implemented (meaning when reaching a certain cell, start automatic transmission of position)? Maybe even a preview of the mobsite inside RacoonOnMap?
    ipoidi at g mail dot com
    Poidi
    (LaLinea)