Discussion Board

N80ie sends 480 response to INVITE

I just bought a new N80ie and tried to use the SIP functionality. What I found was that I could register the phone and make outgoing calls but the phone would not respond to incoming SIP calls. I found that the phone responds with 480 Temporarily Unavailable message to an INViTE request. The codecs I am using are G729, G711. Does anybody know the reason for this behaviour.

Thanks
    Sundi

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: N80ie sends 480 response to INVITE

I may be able to help you if you can send me the SIP logs e.g. normal IP captures (taken with ethereal for example) and as near the N80 as possible i.e. behind the SIP proxy and access router if possible.

VoIP Tech Support would basically need to see the whole SIP INVITE request with the SDP payload to be able to reproduce the error in lab - assuming that this interoperability problem is related to the calling SIP client. Unfortunately there are also other possible reasons e.g. SIP server
    or some ALG box on the route can corrupt the message.

Also detailed information about software version of N80 (type *#0000#), the SIP client calling to N80 IE and proxy or service provided would be apreciated.

Please send logs to niklas.lyback@nokia.com.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: N80ie sends 480 response to INVITE

In the log you provided, in the SIP/2.0 200 OK response, the Contact URI's IP address does not correspond to the Contact URI sent in the REGISTER request or the address got in the Via header's received parameter. If neither of these match, the registration is treated as failed. A more detailed background to this is that there can be multiple contacts in the response with different expires parameter and thus there is a need to select the correct one, and unfortunately this causes a side effect also with one contact. This logic will be changed in the future release, but the exact time schedule is not known yet.
    According to SIP RFC 3261, the registrar shall not modify the contact URI sent in the response to the register request. When forwarding a request, e.g. INVITE, it's quite common that the SIP server writes its own address to the Contact - instead of the correct way of inserting a Record-Route header - and this trick works also with N80 IE, but in case of the REGISTER request, the Contact has a different meaning and it should not be touched."