Discussion Board

Cool BUGS?! Identified Video/Audio recording problems on N93

While developing & testing a MIDlet for recording video (and audio) on the new N93 device I found out the following strange behaviour that seems like a real bug in the implementation of the MMAPI on that device:

1) Trying to record a sequence of 5 seconds video clips (each clip in a different file) results with the first file containing video and audio but the rest of the following recorded files are audio only (video stream is zero length) with no video shown although the recording player is video capturing type.

2) Trying to record a sequence of 5 seconds audio clips, resulted with first file containing audio and next file empty followed by an exception of unknown kind (exception.getMessage() is null). NOTICE: Using the same code as video but only changing the player type from capture://video to capture://audio . So Video is working partially but Audio which is an older feature crashes.

3) Recording a single video (+audio) file using the MMAPI is working but when played with the phone player or on a PC it has a sync problem. A delay of 0.5-1.5 seconds between the audio and video (audio starts late and continues after video has ended).

4) Two successive RecordControl.commit() calls (e.g. with no other RecordControl calls) would result in exception and in some cases crash your phone (soft reset?!).

I used the setRecordLocation API call to set a new record file location for each chunk and RecordControl to start/commit recording to the file and cycle this again and again...
    Also for some unknown reason had to create the file if it didn't exist or else and exception was thrown, thus, I used FileConnection API.
    Here is the simplfied stripped code I have used for the task:
    Code:
    player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video");
    player.realize();
    videoControl = (VideoControl)player.getControl("VideoControl");
    Item videoItem = (Item)videoControl.initDisplayMode(VideoControl.USE_GUI_PRIMITIVE, null);
    form.append(videoItem);
    recordControl = (RecordControl)player.getControl("RecordControl");
    player.start();
    String movieFilePrefix = System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.memorycard")+ "Videos/capture";
    int fileCount = 0;

while (shoot)
    {
    	String file_path = System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.memorycard")+ "Videos/capture" + fileCount + ".3gp";
    	FileConnection fconn = (FileConnection)Connector.open(file_path, Connector.READ_WRITE);
    	if (!fconn.exists()) 
    		fconn.create(); // create the file if it doesn't exist
    	fconn.close();

recordControl.setRecordLocation(file_path);
    	recordControl.startRecord();

Thread.sleep(5000); // 5 seconds clips

//recordControl.stopRecord();
    	recordControl.commit(); // implicitialy call recordControl.stopRecord();

fileCount++;
    }

Any idea anyone?
    Can the guys from NOKIA verify it is a bug? is it only on N93?
    I do not have access to other devices besides that N93 so I cannot verify if it is a bug on other devices as well...

I am stuck - please help!!!
    The only work around I found was to close the whole player and create a new one for each recording chunk - but that is very demanding in CPU time ... (start/stop player is not enough) which affects the recording continuity...

IMHO looks like the MMAPI is not working correctly even in sample code given by NOKIA (see #3 above - video/audio sync issue).

Let me know if more details are needed.

Thanks,

Arik.

Re: BUGS?! Identified Video/Audio recording problems on N93

Will anyone related to Nokia or being titled as a Nokia champ address this issue?

Can it be that a simple start/commit operation on a record control cannot be repeated with the same player? sound weird - this means that a recording player can only be used once... ?!?!?!?

UPDATE: Now I am really pissed off... I managed to put my hands on a Nokia6280 and the above code with slight adjustments seem to work just fine on a the 6280 (ehich is S40) and not to mention that it ran even quicker,
    while it is not working on the newest N93 S60 3rd edition phone.

Is it just my feeling or Nokia is relying on the J2ME developers to find its bugs instead of doing QA tests for its new models?
    NOKIA guys - I decent thing was to check this and come up with an answer like; thank you for letting us know of this bug - we will address this issue and provide workaround/details soon. Instead of just let me waste so many hours finding out why a simple piece of API calls code is not working.

Well?! someone?
    Last edited by arikr7; 2007-02-18 at 10:42.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Dear developer,

I know for sure that this forum is monitored and that your problem would have been eventually verified and if indeed a bug, reported. However, a discussion board is not the proper channel to report such issues, especially when you expect (demand even) an official reaction. Have you seen the "Free S60 3rd Ed Platform Bug Reporting" announcement? If you post the information using the channel described there I'm sure you will get at least an "thank you for letting us know of this bug - we will address this issue and provide workaround/details soon"

Best regards,

Question Re: BUGS?! Identified Video/Audio recording problems on N93

ltomuta, thanks for your kind reply,

IMHO, the forum is the place to ask for help, report problems that maybe others know the answer for (like, "...hey this is a know bug.. you should do this and that...", "it cannot be done" etc...), or post an issue with the development API that might be caused by improper use of the API (like, "you are doing this wrong, see this code sample that solves the issue").

As for bug reporting, only Nokia or an expert member can verify that what I brought up is a bug and none did up to this moment. More than that, my post is just suggesting that it is a bug and needed verification. I even did some of the verification "work" by checking on another model today.

Now, since there was no offical place to post bugs (thanks for pointing out, I saw the new link and it came out AFTER I posted my bug), and since I cannot access that link nor register because no one checked that it can be verified by a regular forum member (not PRO), so up to this moment it is of no use to all of "common" developers.

Bottom line - currently, the only place to verify if one of the J2ME APIs is buggy is only by posting here at the forum. If Nokia wants developers to use its API it should support it in a more orderly way (e.g. this forum is too messy for bug handling). I guess the new bug reporting place would be lovely when it will be accessiable to all (You would agree that I do not have to pay 4000Euro for reporting bugs to Nokia or just to find what are the already known bugs?!)

What do you think - it makes sense?
    Will I get an answer soon or should I tell my boss that we should all go on a vacation till it happens...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arikr7
    ltomuta, thanks for your kind reply,

IMHO, the forum is the place to ask for help, report problems that maybe others know the answer for (like, "...hey this is a know bug.. you should do this and that...", "it cannot be done" etc...), or post an issue with the development API that might be caused by improper use of the API (like, "you are doing this wrong, see this code sample that solves the issue").

As for bug reporting, only Nokia or an expert member can verify that what I brought up is a bug and none did up to this moment. More than that, my post is just suggesting that it is a bug and needed verification. I even did some of the verification "work" by checking on another model today.
    The Discussion Boards are maintained as means of self help for developers and not as a "technical support" service. Nokia employees are contributing here on their own free time which of course is a limited resource. Now, if somebody could easily verify the validity of this bug it would have probably commented on if already. As such, it is not wrong to post this kind of problems here too yet the expectations should be set accordingly.
    Now, since there was no official place to post bugs (thanks for pointing out, I saw the new link and it came out AFTER I posted my bug), and since I cannot access that link nor register because no one checked that it can be verified by a regular forum member (not PRO), so up to this moment it is of no use to all of "common" developers.
    The registration process for Forum Nokia's e-store is open and accessible to everyone. I've just created an account there so please go back and try again, it works! Start here. Once registered you can buy stuff from the e-store (e.g. support vouchers), open technical support cases (if you have unused vouchers) or submit a bug report.
    Bottom line - currently, the only place to verify if one of the J2ME APIs is buggy is only by posting here at the forum. If Nokia wants developers to use its API it should support it in a more orderly way (e.g. this forum is too messy for bug handling). I guess the new bug reporting place would be lovely when it will be accessiable to all (You would agree that I do not have to pay 4000Euro for reporting bugs to Nokia or just to find what are the already known bugs?!)

What do you think - it makes sense?
    Will I get an answer soon or should I tell my boss that we should all go on a vacation till it happens...
    As said, the new official channel for bug reporting is open. However, one should not attempt to use it as a free way of getting access to professional support. If what you report is found to be your own mistake all you'll get back is a "not a bug" verdict. I have no experience with Java otherwise by now I could give you some technical advice. I will ask one of my colleagues to spend 10 minutes reviewing this but no more ...

Nokia Developer Champion

The problem has been verified on N93, N93i and N73. On E61i this problem does not exist. I have not tested with all possible S60 3rd Edition devices though (yet).
    This has been communicated to the dev team, but correction to 3rd Edition devices is highly unlikely.
    I have to still prepare a known issue document on this

Hartti