Discussion Board

Thread: MMF framework

MMF framework

I'm having a problem with playing videos on the N93. I'm using CVideoPlayerUtility and the player I wrote is part of another application. If the application crashes then the player no longer works (it hangs the phone), as if the multimedia framework crashed on the phone with the application, and only a restart would fix that. This problem happens only on the N93; the N91 has no such problem.

Looking at the log file I created, the player stops at the Prepare() function and never returns, the callback is never reached, and the application is unresponsive.

Anyone know what's going on, or perhaps know some fix? Thanks.

Re: MMF framework

Hi,

It sounds likely to me that there is a problem in the firmware that is causing the DSP on the device to hang or get somehow out of sync with the MMF code on the ARM processor.

The only thing I can suggest for you is to make sure that you are (if possible) detecting the application crash and closing/cleaning up your player properly (i.e. Close() the clip and don't just delete the CVideoPlayerUtility during the crash - although the destructor should probably do this internally I don't know if it does).

The other more obvious but not so helpful solution is to fix the crash in the application so it doesn't happen!

Sorcery

Well it's only when it's a KERN-EXEC crash that the multimedia framework crashes.

What's even more strange is that if I don't try playing anything with the player and the application crashes, the framework still crashes, ruling out the possibility that I'm not cleaning and closing CVideoPlayerUtility correctly (even though I do exactly that after playing any clip); I never opened it in the first place

Hi,

It's very strange if it's having problems when you haven't opened any clips (note that it's the open that matters not the playing). The MMF framework can't crash really as it is just a set of plugin interfaces and plugins. There is no multimedia server like there used to be.

If you haven't opened the hardware accelerated codec plugin for the video codec you want to use then I can't see how it can be affected.

That said the N93 is a bit different as it has completely different hardware to the N91. It is apparently using the OMAP2420 processor which does have an imaging and video accelerator built in. I don't know if Nokia are using it but it could be a problem with talking to that block in the chip rather than a DSP interface issue???

Whatever it is I don't think there is much you can do from the high level API so you're left with having to fix the kern-exec crashes.

Good luck & sorry I can't help!

Sorcery