Discussion Board

Blank emulator screen

Hi!

I'm new to Symbian. I've just installed Carbide.c++ Express v1.1 and S60 2.1 FP1 SDK.

The problem I'm facing is the Emulator malfunction. I tried to start it from Carbide, directly from Start menu and even from console (epoc.exe). The result is always the same - I get a blank white screen. After a few seconds, a "Series 60" text appears at the bottom of the screen. That's all, I can't do anything besides closing the Emulator.

I've searched the forum and found out that there is an output file generated by the Emulator (EPOCWIND.OUT in Temp directory). I've deleted this file and started the Emulator. Then I've closed it and checked the contents of the file. The contents were following:

Can't load ELOCL.00
    Can't load EKDATA.00
    Can't load phbksyncsvr.dll
    I've read somewhere that the DLL error is "normal". However, I have no idea about the other errors.

Can someone help me out here? I've tried reinstalling the SDK, didn't help.

Best,
    yak

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Blank emulator screen

According to my experiences when you have the Series 60 logo appearing, you have already won the match, the emulator is going to start. You might try once more, waiting a few (?) more minutes (!).

Hmm, I'm waiting here 5 minutes already. In the meantime I've switched to some other app and when I checked back some seconds later, the "Series 60" text was gone (just white screen). The epoc.exe process (as seen in Task Manager) seems to do nothing.

Does the Emulator have some requirements like SSE instructions? Because I have an Athlon Thunderbird CPU (SSEs were added in XP series).

How does the Emulator startup sequence normally look like?

Damn, sorry. The contents of Emulator's log file I've posted previously were generated by Release version. The Debug version returns this. I've cleaned it up a little as originally all lines were joined into one.

One of the funny things I've found is this line:
    SplashScreen: No SplashScreen when UDEB
    It's funny because I can still see the "Series 60" text in Debug version. Or is a splash screen some graphic picture?

Here's how the Emulator's window look here. Like I said, the "Series 60" text disappears after some delay (~1 minte).
    Last edited by y.a.k; 2007-02-12 at 23:03.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Actually on my workplace PC (P4 2.4, 1G), the 2.1 emulator starts in 25 seconds, and "Series 60" is visible from the 3rd second until the 22nd.
    And the first-time-ever boot is significally takes longer (even 3-4 times, but I obviously cannot reproduce that now).

I just solved the problem. It seems something was wrong with my Windows installation, although I always take care to keep my system clean. I almost gaved up and decided to run the Windows Installer's Repair facility. This did the trick - the emulator boots to the menu and seems to work correctly.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.