Discussion Board

Thread: MMS a/v codec

Regular Contributor

MMS a/v codec

Is anybody familiar with MMS standard? is that the video part must be H263, and audio track is AMR-NB? Can I have other combinations, like use aac for audio and H263 for video codec, or mpeg4 video + aac audio in QCIF resolution?

Thanks
    Skygyl

Re: MMS a/v codec

Hi,

It's been a while since I looked but I don't think the standard prevents other formats it's just that there is only likely support for the one format. I think many phones advertise what they accept via MMS in the UA Header. Whatever you send may also be modified by the MMS gateway/server in the network. Content is often adapted for the terminal it is being sent to which includes transcoding of video files!

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery

Regular Contributor

thanks, do you have any standard related files?

Hi,

You can find all the standards at www.3gpp.org for the existing implementations (although exactly which version of the standard is implemented in a particular phone is not so easy to find out - they are are fairly similar/backwards compatible though). The evolution of MMS is now the responsibility of the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) and they will publish all the new standards.

The main documents for MMS from 3GPP are TS 22.140 & TS 23.140. You can find a recent version of each here:
    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/2006-12/Rel-5/22_series/ (see 22140-540.zip near the bottom)
    and here:
    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/2006-12/Rel-5/23_series/ (see 23140-5b0.zip)

They then have references to the other relevant standards.

To answer your specific question you should look at TS 26.140:
    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/2006-12/Rel-5/26_series/ (see 26140-520.zip - I think you might be noticing the pattern now).

In there you'll find that H.263 profile 0 level 10 is mandatory and that H.263 profile 3 level 10 & MPEG-4 Visual Simple Profile Level 0 "should" be supported (this is in 3GPP release 5, things tend to move from "may" to "should" to must over successive releases in all the specs). There are references in that document to further detail about those profiles and levels.

You can find all of these documents on the 3GPP and OMA websites. If you don't know what number you need for a particular technology then Google and particularly Wikipedia seem to be good places to find a reminder (the info is on the 3GPP site but it isn't easy to search).

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery

P.S. Good luck, the specifications were not written to be very readable, it's hard work.