Discussion Board

Post Location Capability... symbian/developer signing or not??

Does Location capability need signing or not? Symbian platform security book groups it as a part of User Capabilities as well as this brand new document (published 19th of Feb, 2007):

http://forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia..._0_en.pdf.html

Forum Nokia eLearning material groups it as a part of Extended Capabilities.

When I try to install my application, the device says "Access not Granted..."

Is this a joke or is it PARTLY User and PARTLY Extended... how is it?

Cheers
    -Tony

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Location Capability... symbian/developer signing or not??

explained in the previous message (maybe you should utilize search next time): http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=101858

yucca

So I have a dummy question: do I have to sign my application with developer level (or symbian signed) to get this work or not because it does not install?

-Tony

Since the Location capability is not one of the capabilities allowed with self-signing, you would be required to use developer certificate on development time, and to get it symbian signed when releasing it.

yucca

Regular Contributor

Does that mean that if I want to implement an application which uses the Location Aquisition API to retrieve the location from a GPS module, I can't do it with a pure Carbide.c++ Express? How do I obtain the developer certificate? Does that cost any money? How long does it take? I have to finish the project in 3 weeks...

Thanks in advance for your replies.

you can still use carbide express, but you need a developer certificate before you can install the application into a real device.

Basically just go to symbiansigned.com, get the developer request tool, generate your own certificate and make developer certificat for your device. Don't know how many problems they still have with the developer certificates, but three weeks should be more than enough. Anyway, if you are thinking of having commercial product ready in three weeks, you would be late most likely, since you need to have Vrisign publicer ID, which will take easily longer than 3 weeks to get.

yucca

Regular Contributor

Hi yucca, thanks for your reply.

No, it's not intended to be a commercial application, at least now. I am just doing a summer traineeship.

I've downloaded the tool, generated a certificate for a single phone and the tool tells me now to:

"Once the wizard is finished, submit the output file (with extension .csr) to the Symbian Signed portal at www.symbiansigned.com to obtain your Symbian Developer Certificate."

The problem is that I can't register at that site, I keep getting errors after submitting the register form. Or maybe I don't need to register at all to obtain a developer certificate?

I'm a little bit stuck...

alav

ok, so they are still having some problems, anyway, all I can say is to go back, check any email address they have and contact them for more information.

yucca

Regular Contributor

I've just taken a look at the support forums and I am not the only one with this problem accounts can be created manually, here is a guide:

http://developer.symbian.com/main/signed/signed.jsp

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I hope it won't take long, I suppose their getting dozens of requests in emails... Do you think that anyone, who already owns an account, would be willing to take my CSR file and generate a certificate for me?
    Last edited by alav; 2007-08-02 at 09:27.