Discussion Board

Unhappy [GAME Programming] What is the version of JDK in S60 (3230)?

Greeting,
    French J2ME student developer. I'm in my game development for S60. I got a little problem about the java version when I tested in my NOKIA 3230.

That means, my application pass no pb in emulator (EclipseME+Eclipse). And it won't launch in 3230.

I thought the JDK used in S60 is 1.3.1, since in the MIDP reference they said "System Requirements for windows 2000 : Java Development Kit (JDK™), no earlier than version 1.3.x ".

But it's not exactly this. I've used class Random, it passed in 3230, then if I try to use the method "nextInt(int) ", my 3230 cried "no mothod found exception", if I call the method "nextInt()", it works. Seem thing when I try to use "Casting of Variables", from double to int for exemple. This time it's worse, no warning, no erreur, the application just won't launch. I spend 3h to find the pb. I'm pretty sure the pb is about jdk version, but which one?

Somebody know which JDK version we can use in S60? Sure I've found the bug, but I can't spend all my time to debug this kind phantom bug, it's really killing me...

Best regard.

PS: I've tried google, nothing about it....
    Last edited by iron_man; 2007-02-25 at 02:53.

Super Contributor

Re: [GAME Programming] What is the version of JDK in S60 (3230)?

iron_man

The JDK is for desktop computers. The mobile phones have Java ME environment (also known as J2ME) which is roughly speaking a subset of standard Java.
    3230 has CLDC 1.0 (Connected Limited Device Configuration) as the base and this configuration contains a subset of basic java classes. On top of the CLDC it has MIDP 2.0 (Mobile Information Device Profile) which implements for exampel UI classes and networking classes. You can find the specification for these APIs at
    http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/apis.jsp

CLDC 1.0 does not support floating point arithmetics
    CLDC 1.0 does not have nextInt(int) available (check the API docs from the link above)

3230 device specs containing the available Java API
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/3230

hope this helps,
    Hartti

Re: [GAME Programming] Which is the version of JDK in S60 (3230) exactly??

nextInt() is a CLDC 1.1 method call and the 3230 is a CLDC 1.0 device which is why you encounter that error that you mentioned.

To generate a random number w/o using CLDC 1.1 method calls, click here.

Re: [GAME Programming] Which is the version of JDK in S60 (3230) exactly??

Thanks!!!!!!