Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Compatiblity between s603rd vs s603rd Feature Pack 1

Hi,
    I would like to start a new discussion (maybe in a more appropriate forum section with more targeted audience) about compatiblity between feature pack one phones and older 9.1 based s603rd phones

According to
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...hlight=FP1+sdk

It seems there is at least a incompatiblity between svg files, which make s603rd FP1 projects not run properly on older s603rd 9.1 devices. Aso the last posts indicates that this might be the only incompatiblity (assuming you are not using FP1 APIs)

is it *safe* or an official standpoint from Nokia that the icon rendering is the only incompatiblity when using projects build with fp1 on older 9.1 devices?

I experienced some weird problems on my e61 phone, after trying out my project built with FP1:
    all of my other installed 3rd party apps now show up with a generic icon, and not their usual application icon. when i try to open any of my installed applications, it just flashes for a brief second (i don't have extended errors turned on at the moment, so no panic code)

I don't know if this is a coincidence or a direct result of running a Feature Pack 1 compiled app on my E61 phone.

Is there a suggested way of handling the situation?

I guess there are multiple options
    1) always providing two .sis files one build with fp1 one build with MR SDK

2) or (assuming you don't make use of fp1 features) having one installer which conditionally installs the "correct" svg files on the phone

3) Lastly, having one installer, but conditionally install FP1 built files on fp1 phones and sdk 9.1 components on 9.1 phones.

Any comments very welcome:-)

best regards,

--Blizzz

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Compatiblity between s603rd vs s603rd Feature Pack 1

If you are targeting 3ed ed Pre-Fp1 and FP1 devices with same installation file, then you would be better of using the 3rd ed Pre-Fp1 SDK for development, since you can not utilize any FP1 added feature anyway, would save you lots of worrying time propably.

yucca

Regular Contributor

You are right, that's certainly true, no need to build with fp1 if you don't need any features. Although going forward one probably would like to work with the latest SDK(tools/emulator) and not to have switch between sdks. Given that the incompatiblities might be minor that would be preferrable, I think.

the real question comes when i want to support a feature of the new FP1, and then it would be nice to have only one installer and conditionally install components, instead of having two ( which always adds overhead to testing and confusion amongst the customers, which file to download).

--Blizzz

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by blizzz
    You are right, that's certainly true, no need to build with fp1 if you don't need any features. Although going forward one probably would like to work with the latest SDK(tools/emulator) and not to have switch between sdks. Given that the incompatiblities might be minor that would be preferrable, I think.
    The S60 Platform has a backward compatibility promise, i.e. application built with S60 3rd SDK MR will work also on S60 3rd SDK FP1. So if you want to use only one SDK use the right one, the S60 3rd SDK MR.
    No one can guarantee that a application (or indeed its icon) built with a newer SDK will work on the devices based on the old one. Though usually it does depending on what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzz
    the real question comes when i want to support a feature of the new FP1, and then it would be nice to have only one installer and conditionally install components, instead of having two ( which always adds overhead to testing and confusion amongst the customers, which file to download).
    There are ways of solving this as you have already mentioned. Here are some more:
    - The Widsets application (the fact that is a Java midlet is irrelevant here) can only be installed from device's browser and the device detection is done automatically. The user can only install the right (or a generic and safe) version.
    - Build the core application with S60 3rd SDK MR and separate the engine in a bunch of plugins specific to a platform release or a device. At install time install the right plugin depending on the phone model. Same for icons ...

Super Contributor

May be you can try using IF statement in the .pkg file, as described here

http://forum.nokia.com/document/Foru...t_run_time.htm

I have checked on S60 3rd FP1, there is a .sis file, called z:\system\install\Series60v3.1.sis. You can use this flag to detect whether a phone is FP1 or not and then install the files that are supported on FP1 only.

Antony