Discussion Board

Symbian C++ Newbie question

Hi,

I develop KJava applications for N7650 device with JBuilder6 + Mobileset 2 + Series 60 MIDP SDK from Nokia. May I ask how can I start to develop Symbian C++ applications? Do I just need to download the Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS? How can I use C++ Builder to develop Symbian C++ applications? or I need to use VS.net? or VC++ 6.0 as .net deploys C# instead of VC++.

Moreover, once the Symbian C++ application is built and does it like KJava Jar file to be run on N7650? So, the application can be downloaded through OTA server?

Any suggested books for the Symbian OS programming? If I develop the application for P800, do I need to install another SDK?

Thanks for help.

gogo

Regular Contributor

RE: Symbian C++ Newbie question

Hi,

Official requirements for Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS are:
    *Windows NT 4.0 environment
    *500 MB or more of free disk space
    *Microsoft Visual C++, version 6.0

However, it works fine on Win2000 also. Nokia supports only VC++ 6.0. If you would like to use .NET, check discussions on Tools&SDKs board. I am not sure if someone had managed to make it work with .NET.

C++ application are installed as .sis files and can be downloaded through OTA server.

Check Symbian web site about available books: http://www.symbian.com/books/index.html

You need another SDK for P800.

Best Regards,
    Marko / Forum Nokia