Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Smile New Carbide.ui release available!

There is a new version of Carbide.ui available on Forum Nokia: Carbide.ui S60 Theme Edition 3.1.1. The most important new feature of this release is probably the support for the screen resolutions for the E61/E62/E61i (320x240 landscape) and the Nokia 5500 (208x208) phones.

Before you download and install, a quote from the Release notes:

Carbide.ui 3.1.1 is a maintenance release for Carbide.ui. It fixes some known issues with Carbide.ui 3.1 (for details on what has been fixed, see release notes here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...Note.txt.html). Some of the code used to implement the fixes is an early drop of an upcoming product. Because of this we recommend that you upgrade to 3.1.1 ONLY if you encounter one or more of the bugs listed below. If you have no issues with Carbide.ui 3.1 you should continue to work with that version.
    So before you download and install, do check the release notes!

Also from the Release notes, another aspect to highlight:

In particular, note that the on-line documentation has not been updated to
    reflect some of the changes in the product. For information of how to use the
    new version, you should refer to the document Theme_edition_3_1_1_Whats_New.doc.
    So, to make sure you can benefit from the new version, get the What's New user's guide here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...s_New.pdf.html

One final detail before we get to the installer link. One error that was discovered while doing the maintenance release but that has not yet been fixed:

- For S60 3rd Edition and 3rd Edition FP1, and when using bitmaps as part of
    your theme, packaging of the theme will fail if the Carbide.ui 3.1 installation
    directory and and the user selected workspace are on different Windows disk drives.
    The symptom of the error is that the bitmaps of the themes will not show on
    the phone.

Workaound: Change the workspace using File -> Switch workspace, then move your
    projects to the new workspace using either File->Export (before switching
    workspace) and then File -> Import or using File -> Create New Theme and then
    select "Copy an existing theme".
    So do make sure that you put Carbide.ui and the workspace on the same disk if you work with S60 3rd Edition and bitmaps!

Now that you have read all the disclaimers, finally the link to download the installer: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...Setup.exe.html and the installation guide: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...guide.pdf.html.

Do tell us what you think of the new version!
    Last edited by mitts; 2007-02-28 at 13:32.

Re: New Carbide.ui release available!

Hello Carbide UI Dev Team,
    I hope you won't mind me bothering you with questions about a text passage from the Carbide UI 3.1.1's Release Notes right now.

In the Release Notes that come with the Carbide UI 3.1.1, I read the following in the Known Problems and Limitations chapter:
    (...)Generated self-signed certificate is valid one year. Sis packages signed with generated self-signed certificates can not be installed after one year. Workaround: (...)
    1 The text only speaks about self-signed certificates, is that correct?
    If I do not use a self-signed certificate, but a certificate signed by Verisign, then themes built with the Carbide UI 3.1.1 will still be able to be installed after a year, right?

2 Does this problem only concern the Carbide UI 3.1.1 or was it already a problem with the Carbide UI 3.1?

I would be very grateful if you could answer these questions, it would take a load off my mind :-)
    Thank you
    Last edited by Paraglider; 2007-02-28 at 21:17.

I have read What is new pdf. There is a paragraph which says that "All items have previews" (4.1), but new release does not.

Super Contributor

Paraglider: Yes, this only applies to selfsigned certificates and it was also a problem in 3.1. I cannot say anything about the validity period for other certificates, you need to check from the issuer.

Kubilay: Yes, you are right, that one slipped past us, the correct wording is "More elements have previews", for instance all Icons and all Pop-up windows now have previews (I hope :-).

Smile Re: New Carbide.ui release available!

The new Theme "Chameleon" can not be opened. There are not also any files in the folder.
    How can I inform of the Nokia that that does not function?

Sorry, empty folder is a result of cutting out some of the features that are under development for 3.2. The theme was not ready for this release, we are still working on it.
    I have to say, I was able to see the Chameleon theme, that is under development ... when finished, it is going to be seen as worth waiting for...
    Best Regards and Sorry in case of any inconvenience caused by the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Stojiljko
    Sorry, empty folder is a result of cutting out some of the features that are under development for 3.2. The theme was not ready for this release, we are still working on it.
    I have to say, I was able to see the Chameleon theme, that is under development ... when finished, it is going to be seen as worth waiting for...
    Best Regards and Sorry in case of any inconvenience caused by the mistake.

Damages... how long that will still last until there is the version 3.2?
    It would be beautiful if there could be more Themes of you.

Thanks for your reply, mitts. I just checked out 3.1.1 and was particularly very happy to see that it is possible to select more than one icon at a time now and to change the different color shades of the icons with a simple click in the colors palette

Smile Re: New Carbide.ui release available!

Quote Originally Posted by Paraglider
    Thanks for your reply, mitts. I just checked out 3.1.1 and was particularly very happy to see that it is possible to select more than one icon at a time now and to change the different color shades of the icons with a simple click in the colors palette
    Cheers for tip Paraglider. Hadn't realised you could select multiple icons, so have been doing them one at a time. This will save me so much time and effort

i downloaded the new version of carbine yesterday.. after installing and when trying to use it had a major problem.. everything was empty!! i pressed to create a theme but all sections inside were empty and i couldn''t do anything.. when i tried to see an example the same window opened!! i reinstall it but nothing changed!! please help me!!!

Post Re: New Carbide.ui release available!

How long will it still last until there will be a new version of the carbide?

Quote Originally Posted by msf
    i downloaded the new version of carbine yesterday.. after installing and when trying to use it had a major problem.. everything was empty!! i pressed to create a theme but all sections inside were empty and i couldn''t do anything.. when i tried to see an example the same window opened!! i reinstall it but nothing changed!! please help me!!!
    Helo,
    Just checking, did You try to install it to some other place and specify different workspace location? Hope it helps. Are You using WinXP?
    Best Regards,

s60v2 is said to be supported by this version of carbide theme editor, I'm just wondering why the system folder icon cannot be changed by this editor, and i also tried to change the icon of some 3rd party application using their uid but it doesn't work.

is there any workaround to change this system icon folder and 3rd party application using this version of carbide?

tnx in advance

Super Contributor

Theming has evolved significantly from S60 2nd edition. Not all functions are available on 2nd edition, for instance the capability to change the icon for any application based on UID is not available in 2nd ed.

For every editable elements, one of the windows indicates what are the platform versions that support modifying that element.

Question Re: New Carbide.ui release available!

So we are also creating themes for commercial use and the idea of their 1year validity does not seem me cool.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to avoid this bug - buy certificates and keys or some other ideas of that instead of remaking keys and certificates and themes every 1 year?

VeriSign writes that their keys validity is 1 year too, so it looks that their key will not solve our problem.

Thanx in advance, Konstantine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast