Discussion Board

problems with the gateway connector

I have applied and received my gateway id. I have set it in the Racoon settings and then tried to connect.

I was then asked for the access point and chose 3 (i'm on the Three network in the UK). The server starts happily and I can connect via the phones browser.

However, in the 'connector' box it just sits there and with a value of 'Connecting'. It never actually connect. In fact it seems to time out after a while.

Have I done something wrong or is three too restrictive with their internet access?

Thanks,
    Jon

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: problems with the gateway connector

Quote Originally Posted by xiris
    Have I done something wrong or is three too restrictive with their internet access?
    Sounds as if you have done everything correctly.

Can you browse the web using that access point? Not just sites provided by Three but any site, like Forum Nokia for instance.

form what i understand 3 only allow you access to a walled garden, i.e. not generic web access.

I had a similar problem on vodafone UK (see earlier post) when I used the WAP access point instead of the internet AP.
    Mike

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by tekeelarools
    form what i understand 3 only allow you access to a walled garden, i.e. not generic web access.
    Ok, then that's likely to be the reason. Switch operator

I know in the past they restricted access to only selected websites. However, now that is not an issue. I can browse any website I choose, including the nokia dicussion forum

Any other ideas? Jon

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by xiris
    I know in the past they restricted access to only selected websites. However, now that is not an issue. I can browse any website I choose, including the nokia dicussion forum

Any other ideas? Jon
    Ok, I misunderstood. In that case one possibility is that they restrict what ports you can access.

You could verify if that's the case by setting up a webserver that listens on port 15001 (the one Raccoon uses in the communication between the connector and the gateway) and then trying to browse from the phone to that webserver. If you cannot, then it's likely that the port is blocked.

Yep that it. Running the web server on port 15001 prevented me from accessing it.

Looks like I'm plum out off luck - without having to setup my own gateway.

I have a Nokia 6680 and I believe that there are currently issues with this and connecting via usb with Gnubox. Maybe a bluetooth adapter for my computer would work better?

Thanks,
    Jon
    Last edited by xiris; 2007-03-02 at 09:24.