Discussion Board

Feedback on new document "Avoiding Common Failures in Symbian Signed tests"

Hi,

this is actually about two things related to the new document Avoiding Common Failures in Symbian Signed tests:

1. One is kind of a meta-feedback on how the feedback itself on documents is handled - I posted the attached feeback about two weeks ago based on the version made available to FN PRO members, by using the "Evaluate this resource" link at the back of the docment - does anyone actually read those? I find that especially the last point I raised is one that had to be fixed before publication of the document, but no change was made. Does it make any sense to fill in those reports?
    2. Luckily I saved a copy of my feedback because I did not trust the web form on forum.nokia.com - it wouldn't be the first time that a carefully written documents just disappears into "Server Error" nirvana... So here goes again:

• Section 2.2: Too vague, especially on colour schemes - please show an example of a screen that would be universally accepted as being of such "bad taste" so that it is going to be considered a fatal failure because of the colors chosen.
      • Section 2.6: Privacy statement - I believe this should clarify the relationship to section 2.8, especially for the case of using services only for the purpose of registration: is it ok to omit a privacy statement in favour of one-shot warnings for the specific case of SMS/Internet registration? [In my personal option, I would say "yes", because this is clearer for the user since it is related to current activity.]
      • Section 2.9: Removing files on uninstall - this must reference the important FNTL article about KIS000186
        which points out that the recommended solution of using FN actually does not always work! I believe a similar issue exists with 3rd Edition, where FN is deprecated, and also not functional. This should be made explict rather than pointing out only the alternative of using the private directory "as if there was a choice". ;-)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Feedback on new document "Avoiding Common Failures in Symbian Signed tests"

Hi mgroeber9110 and others,

thank you for your feedback. We do handle all received developer feedback on a regular basis (note however that feedback is not examined immediately but all feedback items are collected and studied biweekly).

I encourage you to use "Evaluate this resource" as it is a convenient way of giving feedback from a specific document or code example - all that input comes to us. We hope that you add your e-mail address to the feedback (as mgroeber9110 did) so that we have a possibility to ask you for further details.

mgroeber9110, I have send your ideas to the owner of the document who said that they will be addressed in the next document update.

So it is worth posting feedback :-)

Best regards,
    Seppo
    Forum Nokia

Quote Originally Posted by seppo_fn
    mgroeber9110, I have send your ideas to the owner of the document who said that they will be addressed in the next document update.
    Thanks for the response - I was just a bit worried because, for my liking, the web forms on Forum Nokia generally tend to be a bit too quiet after you submit them, so it is not always clear if your data was processed or not.

Personally, I would even like to have a tickbox "Send copy to my own e-mail address" on this form (and others, like the Capability Request form for DRM and TCB), so that I have a record of the text I filled in, which can sometimes be the result of a fair bit of research before sending it off.

Nokia Developer Expert

Receiving a copy to one's own address (if desired) is a good idea, the web team is investigating how to best implement this.
    Heli
    Forum Nokia

Nokia Developer Expert

Btw, we've also started using a new feature to collect feedback about published resources: "Discussion about" feedback channels. A feedback channel has been added also to the "Avoiding Common Failures in Symbian Signed Tests" document. One can access the discussion from the resource infopage or via a direct link:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...play.php?f=138

Please feel free to post comments.

Some enhancements to the "Discussion about" feature are under work (e.g. to better enable finding the discussion via the resource and vice versa).
    Heli
    Forum Nokia