Discussion Board

Angry what is WINS and CW?

Hi Dear Developers
    I am Amature in Mobile Programing. I want to download SDK from Nokia Site. i want to download SDK 2 FP2 but i don't now what is WINS and CW. ther are SDK 2nd FP2 WINS, SDK2nd FP2 CW and ...
    It would be agreat favor if anyone help me.
    thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: what is WINS and CW?

WINS is for Windows Single Process. Originally it describes that the emulator runs in a single process, and Symbian applications are running in threads, thus on the emulator applications can corrupt data of other apps (while on the device applications run as separate processes).
    CW is for CodeWarrior: the Symbian toolchain has been working with Visual Studio (6 later .NET) for a long time. A few years ago the support for CodeWarrior (formerly Metrowerks now Nokia CodeWarrior) has also appeared, using separate SDK-s.
    The naming of the SDK-s is a bit insane in fact, since the above mentioned classifiers (WINS and CW) are used incoherently:
    - "WINS" SDK-s are supporting Visual Studio
    - "CW" SDK-s are supporting CodeWarrior
    - SDK-s having no separate releases for WINS/CW are supporting CodeWarrior (2nd edition FP3 and all 3rd edition releases)
    And also check the additional notes on the download page about Carbide.c++ and Carbide.vs support (Carbide.c++ is a sluggish, but standalone IDE, while Carbide.vs is a plugin for the Visual Studio 2003. VS2005 is not supported if you would have been going to ask about it).

Hi
    Thank You Sir. that was good but i confused! now which of these SDK i should download to use in .NET (I need SDK 2nd Edition FP2):

SDK 2nd Edition FP2 CW
    SDK 2nd Edition FP2 WINS
    SDK 2nd Edition FP2 Japanese,WINS
    SDK 2nd Edition FP2 Thai,WINS

I have another question: if my phone need a SDK 2nd FP2 for programing can i use SDK 3nd edition or no?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yersay
    to use in .NET
    If you mean VS.Net (or VS7): SDK 2nd Edition FP2 WINS
    If you mean VS 2003: SDK 2nd Edition FP2 CW, and you will also need Carbide.vs
    SDK 2nd Edition FP2 Japanese,WINS
    SDK 2nd Edition FP2 Thai,WINS
    If you speak Japanese or Thai, you can also use these for VS.Net
    I have another question: if my phone need a SDK 2nd FP2 for programing can i use SDK 3nd edition or no?
    No, 3rd edition SDK-s create binaries that cannot run on 2nd edition devices.