Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Technical support

Hi,

Does anybody know how many questions would I get answered from an open case to Technical Support?

We are developing an app and have several questions, and don't know if we have to pay 190€ for each one or if we will get all solved.

For example, the main question is ask what capabilities does need a Bio parser dll (as we are getting errors with those granted by DevCert). And I think that paying 190€ for getting this answer is too much, though that this should be public information...

Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Technical support

A technical support request can include a reasonable amount of questions if they are all inter-related and if the resolution of your problem depends on getting an answer to them all. So for example grouping a number of questions about bio-messaging is acceptable while mixing audio routing and bio-messaging PlatSec issues would not be accepted.

Platform security issues can be solved by testing the application in emulator (when possible) or by testing applications/modules signed with various capabilities (you can use elftran.exe to change the capability set of a given binary file).

I will ask for a Technical Library entry to be created on this issue. Until this happens all I can tell you now from the top of my head is that NetworkControl, Location, NetworkServices, WriteDeviceData and ReadDeviceData are among the required capabilities.

Best regards,

Hi All,

Can I raise a sub-query after receiving a response to a technical support request?
    Will this be charged again?
    Also, it will be helpful if someone can provide the contact details (Phone number, Email-Id etc)
    of technical support team so that I can have a detailed discussion with them.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

each tehcnical support request is for one use case only, thus you can not have unrelated follow up queries in them. in case there is solution available for the use case,then the Technical experts will provice enough information for it, which normally include details as well, so no additional detailed discussions are really needed. Also the communications are handled through the web tool only, no direct emails or phone calls are normally supported.

I do not know if (Forum) Nokia offers consultancy, but that is what you are describing. Technical Support is about findig solution to a specific, well defined problem.

Good point, it is technical support, not technical consultacy, so they are not going to be designing the whole applciation/service for you, they are there to solve specific well defined problems.

Thanks for the response,

Guys I don’t expect them to "Design the whole application/service" for me.
    But the thing is I am at point where I am stuck with some problems, for which I have raised queries on this forum.
    1) Creating VPN access point.
    2) Creating embedded destinations.
    Unfortunately I have received no response. And that’s why I needed some information regarding technical support.

So as per SymbianYucca "each technical support request is for one use case only, thus you cannot have unrelated follow up queries in them." - Does this mean I can have related follow up queries? And this is what I was trying to know in my previous post.

Best Regards

the technical support cases are for one use case, thus "create a working VPN access point" would be one use case, and "create embedded destination" would be another really, thus I would recommend asking them in separate technical support cases.

If I purchase technical support ticket for 5 support requests which will cost me 500€ will I have to raise all the support requests at one time or I can use this over a period of time. If I can use it over a period of time what is timeframe within which I will have to use this ticket to raise support request.
    I feel there is very little information available regarding technical support on forum nokia itself, it will be helpful if there is some kind of FAQ document.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello,
    please see the technical support web page for more support info: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Support/T..._support.xhtml
    It possible to purchase 1 ticket or a bundle (5 tickets), tickets are valid at least 6 months; so you don't have to use bundle 'at the same time'.

Nokia Developer Champion

>>the main question is ask what capabilities does need a Bio parser dll

You should be able to get answers to that from this forum and save yourself some money.

Firstly the capabilites required should be documented, if not if you try and use/load your dll in the emulator if you have a permission missing the load will fail, however helpfully there is a log file you can obtain and it'll tell you specifically which permission was missing.

Make sure you can get it working on the emulator first, then move on to hardware and certificates. Where/how exactly did you get the certificate?

This sort of material will have been covered in the past on this forum.

The Bio parser stuff happened 3.5 years ago, Testacc123 probably revived the thread because of the topic in its title.

Quote Originally Posted by hotcheese View Post
    >>the main question is ask what capabilities does need a Bio parser dll

You should be able to get answers to that from this forum and save yourself some money.

Firstly the capabilites required should be documented, if not if you try and use/load your dll in the emulator if you have a permission missing the load will fail, however helpfully there is a log file you can obtain and it'll tell you specifically which permission was missing.

Make sure you can get it working on the emulator first, then move on to hardware and certificates. Where/how exactly did you get the certificate?

This sort of material will have been covered in the past on this forum.
    Yep, he was asking on different point. Anyway, with Bio messaging you would find it a bit hard to test on emulator, due the need for incoming Bio SMS message. Anyway, the capabilities can be checked by first seeing what the messaging application itself has, and then seeing the message viewers capability requirements. and then making sure that the Bio message dll's have the capabilities required by these processes.

Quote Originally Posted by mimuurin View Post
    Hello,
    please see the technical support web page for more support info: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Support/T..._support.xhtml
    It possible to purchase 1 ticket or a bundle (5 tickets), tickets are valid at least 6 months; so you don't have to use bundle 'at the same time'.
    Hi mimuurin,
    I have already checked this information but I could not find anything on the ticket validity period.
    Will you please share where this 6 month timeframe is mentioned on Forum nokia.

Thanks