Discussion Board

Question (Re)associating Python scripts with Python in messaging?

When I send a Python script to my E70 and click the message in the inbox, for some reason the messaging program does not ask to save it as a Python script, but rather opens text editor (Note) to display the file. Is there any way to (re)associate Python scripts with Python in the message handler, so I could send scripts via BT and run them? Currently, I cannot even save them - or at least I don't find how.

I tried installing a new version of Python. This did not help. Maybe I should try uninstalling Python and reinstalling again... Any other ideas?

Super Contributor

Re: (Re)associating Python scripts with Python in messaging?

Symbian does not use file associations. It uses little programs called "recognizers" to determine a file type. There's no way for a user to configure the recognizers.

PyS60 for 2nd Edition has a recognizer for *.py files, but PyS60 for 3rd Edition does not. This means that with 3rd Edition phones, you cannot send Python scripts as messages (OBEX Object Push). The Messaging application simply does not recognize the Python script.

All 3rd Edition phones support the OBEX File Transfer profile as well, so with suitable software on your PC you can browse files that are on the phone and put your scripts directly under E:\Python, where the script shell finds them.

OK, thanks, I thought I have seen the recognizer on 3rd ed. phone, but apparently I mis-remembered.

I know that I can put the files to E:\Python via file transfer, it's that sending a message was faster than connecting the phone to the PC, transfering file, disconnecting, etc.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RaimondasL
    OK, thanks, I thought I have seen the recognizer on 3rd ed. phone, but apparently I mis-remembered.

I know that I can put the files to E:\Python via file transfer, it's that sending a message was faster than connecting the phone to the PC, transfering file, disconnecting, etc.
    Yes. To be honest, I never use file transfer myself. I always make a SIS package with Ensymble, send it to the phone and install it...