Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

S60 3rd Ed. Fp1 Registration Wizard

Hi,
    I have been working through the UI Designer examples, but I cannnot run the apps on the emulator anymore. A "Registration Wizard" screen pops up to say I have now, after 14 days, got to register my use of the SDK...

There is a sequence of three screens, each of which times out after about 1.5 seconds!!! By clicking like mad, I managed to get through to the sending of a request for a licence file. An email arrived from the LicenseService@forum.nokia.com(for free!). I cannot import the key file because the import screen is not active for long enough to pick out the file, or alternatively type in my username and paste the key...

This may be a game that Nokia considers entertaining, but I am a curmudgeon, and can't see the joke.

The processor I am using is about 3.5 Ghz, 2Gb memory Maxdata, fairly fast, but surely the Wizard should wait for Input or Cancel??? I have even tried running a full virus scan in the background, but it did not slow things down quite enough, I just got the file imported, but not enough time to click OK... "Oh dear, what a pity!", I said...

If someone could help, I would be very grateful...

Richard

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 3rd Ed. Fp1 Registration Wizard

76Richard76,

Please try running the emulator from outside the IDE (e.g. from the Start menu or from the command prompt). And at least if you chose the "I do not have a license code" -> "I do have internet connection" path you should be able to deal with the dialog quite quickly with a user name typed and a license code pasted from the email received.

HTH,

Regular Contributor

Hi Itomuta,

Thank you for your reply, it worked fine, my SDK is now registered.

Unfortunately, the Emulator does not run, it exits after loading for no apparent reason, leaving no message about its failure...

I tried uninstalling, downloading, and re-installing the SDK, but to no avail, it only runs for about 3 minutes, showing a blank emulation screen, then exits. Where should I look for diagnostics, if there are any?

My 'default' SDK is the S60 2nd Ed FP1, is this the reason for the failure? If so, how do I change the default?

Also, how do I stop the emulation keyboard disappearing off the bottom of my PC screen, because the emulator screen is too large?

Richard

Look within these forums, this issues was discussed many time but I do not remember a exact solution (could be something about you hardware configuration, the audio card if I remember correctly).

Emulator's log can be of help in identifying the issue (an later on during your app development), see %TEMP%\epocwind.out

For changing the default SDK see devices.exe (call it from the command prompt or look for details in the SDK help)

For the latest problem I have only one recommendation: buy a monitor/video card with higher resolution. (well, you could try to tweak the SDK configuration but ...)

Regular Contributor

another question about SDK registration :

is it possible to use the SDK on a computer without internet connection?
    Can I use a second computer that has internet connection to register the SDK for the first without connection? For example, by providing a generated number to receive a registration key in return, similarly like Win XP activation?

Thanks

Yes, the registration wizard will ask you if you have Internet connection and if not the registration process is completed offline.