Discussion Board

DLL Problem in Carbide.c++

I'm using Carbide.c++ v1.1 and S60_2nd_FP_3.

I'm trying to link the simple Hello World GUI project with the Symbian Basic dynamic linked library project, and they both compile without problems. I've added the DLL-project's .lib file to the GUI-project's libraries, and so far so good.

When I try to start the application in the emulator, it just displays an error message "System error". This happens when I try to instantiate an object from some class in the DLL-project. If I remove the instantiation from the code, the GUI-project works just fine.

I've tried this with Carbide.vs and it worked just fine. Am I missing some crucial setting with adding the .lib to the GUI-project?

Super Contributor

Re: DLL Problem in Carbide.c++

If it is working on Carbide.VS then it Should work on Carbide.c++. Only Solution i can think of is to Do a Clean Build.

Regular Contributor

If you are trying to use .lib files created with Carbide.vs and then use them in Carbide.C++ you must do a rebuild of these files since Carbide.vs uses different compiler (MS) for emulator builds than Carbide.C++

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by myohol
    If you are trying to use .lib files created with Carbide.vs and then use them in Carbide.C++ you must do a rebuild of these files since Carbide.vs uses different compiler (MS) for emulator builds than Carbide.C++
    I am ready to bet the both tools are using the "Nokia Codewarrior C/C++ Compiler for Windows/x86".

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta
    I am ready to bet the both tools are using the "Nokia Codewarrior C/C++ Compiler for Windows/x86".
    Oh, right. That's true. I mixed the whole thing with debug WINSCW and release GCCE (for device) builds. Sorry about that.

Super Contributor

Some bugs are also introduced!!!! While my project composed by app + dll has been managed correctly by Carbide 1.0 Express for months, the same doesn’t happend with v. 1.1 Express. It is very easy to reproduce the problem: Plataform: Carbide 1.1 Express and S60_2nd_FP2_CW. You can use the example in Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Examples\basics\staticdll. The only warning received during compilation is: "Severity Description Resource In Folder Location Creation Time Id 1 Option overrides the effect of ’m|main’; only one of ’-m[ain], -noentry’ should be specified while parsing option ’-noentry’ createstaticdll line 0 30 dicembre 2006 15.16.29 256". In the path MyWorkSpace\createstaticdll\S60 2.6 Emulator Debug You can find the following files: createstaticdll.dll 86.168 byte CreateStaticDLL.lib 3.358 byte

while, with big disapoint, in path Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb You can find the following files: createstaticdll.dll 84.360 byte CreateStaticDLL.lib 2.314 byte. (smaller!!!)

The result is that this version (placed in the correct place by the compilation process) is not working; an access violation happends before any application code starts execution.

But if you copy files from MyWorkSpace\createstaticdll\S60 2.6 Emulator Debug over files in Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb everithing works.

So, if you plann to create an application based on dll (various engines, etc) it is better to wait some time.

Happy new year at everybody (Nokia & Symbian included!).

PS: who does insert the -noentry linker option? How can I remove it?
    http://newlc.com/Carbide-c-Express-updated-to-1-1.html

Regular Contributor

The problem with 1.0 to 1.1 transition is sometimes caused by Eclipse plugin settings left over in the workspace (.metadata directory). To be safe, it is better to create a new workspace and migrate all projects there.