Discussion Board

How to use the call time and or call cost datas on my phone to develop...

I would like to know if anyone has any idea if there is anyway to use call time on a cell phone to create an application?
    what i mean is, i am using a motorola c390, and i would like to use the already incorporated call time management app that you get by going to "recent calls" then either "dialled" "received call" to create an application that would, at the end of a phone call, display the duration directly to the screen ... problem is, using motominman, i can only access the java midlets on my phone, nothing more.. Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Regular Contributor

Re: How to use the call time and or call cost datas on my phone to develop...

Hi nomoney!

I don't think it's possible to access call logs from a J2ME application. We're all in a dirty sandbox pal!! =)

BUT! You could try using System.currentTimeMillis() inside pauseApp(), to know when the call started, and use it again in startApp() to know when the call ended. The difference between these two values would be the duration of the call in milliseconds.

damn sandbox!!...hum.. so by using System.currentTimeMillis() inside pauseApp() .. ai will be able to record the duration of the phonecall on a variable?...
    if yes, then it might save me..

Regular Contributor

Yes, you can do that. Your application would have to be running of course. You could even use RMS or FileConnection APIs to make your own Call Log.

Cheers!

Super Contributor

IMHO, pauseApp() cannot be used reliably in your case. Because, pauseApp() will also be called when external events such as incoming SMS, Phone charging etc occours.
    You could use JSR 253: Mobile Telephony API (MTA), but it is currently not available in Nokia phones.

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

Still you could use pauseApp()... SMS and phone charging events would give veeeeery little time difference, so you could easily differentiate one event from another.