Discussion Board

Thread: Money Indicator

Lightbulb Money Indicator

I wonder why no one didn't invent it still!
    It is very simple. Look on the display of any mobile. What indicators do you see? Correct, connection level and battery level.
    But there is at least one thing you have to check time to time. It's your balance - money.

Why not to create separate online indicator for money? Of cource, there are some issues - it will be appropriate for prepaid tariffs only.

There are some details:
    1) User can set a maxumum level of such indicator by himself. For example, for me - I usually fill up my balance to $10. It is my maximum. I can set it up in preferences of my mobile.
    2) Indicator refreshes after each call, SMS or internet connection. I don't know technical issues very well, but it can be done by trivial USSD-request to operator, I think.
    3) Of cource, all request and answers are different, that the puzzle for technical guys: how to make a phone to read balance from operators billing system. Maybe, its time to create come standard guides?

Well, that's my idea. I 'll be glad to read your answers and discuss it!

Super Contributor

Re: Money Indicator

Hi DanielS! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

I dont think this as a new feature and feature to provide by Nokia, because I have seen this in my old Nokia 3210 back in 2001 - In the main screen it will be displaying what is the currently available balance. And I guess this is an operator dependent feature.

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

Hi DanielS,
    This has also been discussed here:
    https://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=392

Quote Originally Posted by DanielS
    2) Indicator refreshes after each call, SMS or internet connection. I don't know technical issues very well, but it can be done by trivial USSD-request to operator, I think.
    I think this option is actually something that should be feasible - you can indeed get your balance from a lot of operators using a USSD request, and it seems to be be possible to issue such requests from S60.

The main problem I have heard about so far is that nobody seems to have managed to capture the reply with a publicly available API, and at the same time suppress the popup that shows it.

Perhaps a Bio parser could be used for that purpose, in a similar way as it is used to catch SMS messages containing a certain string before they are signalled...