Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

SIP plugin 4.0 does not install SIP extensions

Hello forum Nokia readers,

we are developing SIP applications for Symbian. In 3rd, FP1 SIP extensions are included. For 2nd, FP3 (and lower) there is the SIP plugin necessary.

I have installed two SDKs, the S60_2nd_FP3 and the S60_3rd_FP1. Then I tried to install the SIP plugin 4.0 CW. It did not complain. (It does when no relevant SDK is installed or when the no-CW version is used.)

There were no errors notified. But in the end, all documentation and tools (SIP server) were installed except the main part, the SIP extensions and the SIP example application. There was not a single file written to the SDK's directories.

I tried it on another computers with the same files and that worked perfectly.

I have noticed following difference: First you are prompted to give a user name and a serial number. OK. Then a selection list is displayed. Set default, all boxes checked. OK. Next step the installation path for the Tools (defaults to C:\NOKIA\Tools) is requested. Took default. OK.
    Then the path to the SDK is requested. There is also a default one, at least on the other computers. On my one there is no such a screen! It seems, at this time there is no SDK found!
    The next screen is the summary showing all the chosen settings. That's again the case on all computers.

Does anyone has any idea what may work different on my PC (WinXP SP2) compared with the other normal PCs (Win 2k, Win XP).
    I didn't try OS/2 ;-)
    Has anyone made similar experiences?

Regards,
    Karsten

Regular Contributor

Re: SIP plugin 4.0 does not install SIP extensions

I suspect that the sip plug-in tries to install on the default sdk that you have selected when you have installed the last SDK.

If the default sdk is the 3 edition one, the SIP plug-in installation should quit as the SIP classes are already there and the SIP plug-in is designed for second edition.

Maybe by re-installing the sdk fp3 and selecting it as the default sdk and then re-installing the sip plug-in that could work.

At least it's worth trying it

Jean-philippe
    jean-philippe

Regular Contributor

Re: SIP plugin 4.0 does not install SIP extensions

It's fixed now. But I don't know where the problem was!

I have deinstalled really everything that was related to Symbian development (Carbide, Codewarrior, SDKs). Then I have tried to clean the registry.
    After all that was done I reinstalled Carbide and the SDK 2nd FP3, then the SIP plugin. This time it installed normally.

Perhaps the problem was that first time I installed everything I had changed the default paths in order not to generate a mess of folders on my computer. There were several problems especially with the carbide installation, so I had to deinstall carbide and SDKs several times and reinstall it again. Doing that I changed back to default paths. It seems there were some rests of old path information in the registry that have confused the installer.

Nokia should really improve error handling during the installations and the deinstallation routines.

Karsten