Discussion Board

Lightbulb How to read binary large binary file from...

Who knows, how to :
    1. read large (20Mb) binary file from specified position, for specified amount of data? example how to read 300 bites from position 56000, from file 20Mb.
    I have to save resources , so I can't and I don't want to read all file.
    2. how to attach binary file to JAR file, to distribute up to phone?

Super Contributor

Re: How to read binary large binary file from...

gaudeamus,

Is there any way of creating the functionality you are after, without reading small part of a big big file? In most cases these reource files can be included inside the JAR-file. In this case the size of the file is so big that even after some zip-compression the JAR file is too large for many, many phones.
    Are you sure you need to have that large file inside your jar. What are you trying to achieve?

Hartti

Regular Contributor

gaudeamus1313,

Your question is not clear.
    If you are talking about to read 20MB binary file (may be in chunks) from some location(position) and want to save read data in phone memory.

Then probably - noboby knows it.

Regular Contributor

gaudeamus1313. harti is absolutely right. if u could tell us about what u plan to do may be we can come up with an alternative way. one thing is for sure. we have to reduce the file size somehow. also u have urself said u dont want to read all of the file. if thats so why cant u just save the data u need in a separate file and include that as resource.
    Last edited by nicenouman; 2007-03-20 at 07:47.
    Regards
    Nouman

I want to make translator for terms (definition - description). I have text file final size 4-20Mb (it depends from amount of data). It is "clear text" file and for mobile devices it is big. I have second file that contain index (index it is mean: definition, start position, how many bytes you need to read). I want to read it from some position, for specified amount of data. Do you think 20Mb it is to much for mobile phone? Do you know how to do it, and how to read it from JAR? I saw only information how read all file, but it make overflow on phone (to big).

Super Contributor

My suggestion: Store the dictionary data on a server and request the data from there. After the system has been used a little while, you can create a new version of the midlet and store the most requested words with the MIDlet so no network connection is used for every query.

Cons: user pays for the network connection (usually), also there are confirmation dialogs shown for network access

Hartti