Discussion Board

#include in pkg file

Is there a way to include another file in a pkg file?

I want to set the application version number in one place so that I don't get inconsistencies. At the moment, I need to set it in the 'about' box for two execs with guis, the pkg file name, and inside the pkg file itself.

The two execs I've combined using a script generated include file. I can have my script edit the pkg file name, but I hesitate having it edit the contents of the file itself. If ther pkg file were preprocessed using cpp (like the mmp files are), then I could include the file I generated for the 'about' boxes.

Any such thing?

Max.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: #include in pkg file

Since .pkg files just misfit in the whole environment (insane format based on command-characters, absolute paths, etc.), I do not think that you can achieve "including" with makesis. However when you build from Carbide, the .pkg file is pre-processed somehow, so you can try defining a macro (or some kind of an environment variable?) and check if you can get Carbide to replace ($YOURSOMETHING)-s in the .pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_
    Since .pkg files just misfit in the whole environment (insane format based on command-characters, absolute paths, etc.), I do not think that you can achieve "including" with makesis. However when you build from Carbide, the .pkg file is pre-processed somehow, so you can try defining a macro (or some kind of an environment variable?) and check if you can get Carbide to replace ($YOURSOMETHING)-s in the .pkg.
    LOL - I couldn't agree with you more

I don't use carbide, since it is too difficult to control. Having said that, it more likely that I just don't understand it - I understand the command line much better, though that is a struggle too.

"Absolute paths"? I don't use absolute paths in my pkg file...am I going to be tripped up somewhere?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterman
    "Absolute paths"? I don't use absolute paths in my pkg file...am I going to be tripped up somewhere?
    OK, relative paths work of course, however if you are working on the same project in multiple workspaces, on multiple PC-s maybe, you would rather use absolute paths (as far as I know it is not possible to tell makesis that your paths are relative to the SDK root).