Discussion Board

Question MultimediaDD enabled developer certificate??

Hi,
    I found an example application which can only run in the device and needs MultimediaDD enabled developer certificate.

I have already got a Developer Certificate without ACS publisher ID. I went through www.symbiansigned.com and found "Phone Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate" have MultimediaDD access. I can see for “Phone Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate” I need ACS publisher ID from www.verisign.com.
    Now the question is if I get ACS Publisher ID, can I get “Phone Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate”? Or any other things are also needed?
    And another question is if I get “Phone Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate”, do I able to run the application in real device? And run any other application required MultimediaDD capability.

Please note that I do not have Forum Nokia PRO or Symbian Platinum Partner membership.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: MultimediaDD enabled developer certificate??

Hello Sajidul,

Quote Originally Posted by sajidul
    Now the question is if I get ACS Publisher ID, can I get “Phone Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate”?
    You need strong reasons behind getting "Phone Manufacturer Approved Capabilities". So it's hard to say that even if you acquire ACS Publisher ID, you would get "Phone Manufacturer Approved Capabilities". It's all upto Phone Manufacturer. You need to submit Request form having specific details. You would find it on www.symbiansigned.com under your account.

And another question is if I get “Phone Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate”, do I able to run the application in real device?
    Yes. That's all behind messing up with acquring "Phone Manufacturer Approved Capabilities", isn't it?

And run any other application required MultimediaDD capability.
    I think you have to request for each new application which may want to use MultimediaDD capability.

Kiran.

Super Contributor

Re: MultimediaDD enabled developer certificate??

Hi,
    Now the question is if I get ACS Publisher ID, can I get “Phone Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate”? Or any other things are also needed?
    Other things are needed - that is, you don't get Phone Manufacturer Approved devcerts automatically, just because you have an ACS Publisher ID. Check out this link for more information: http://forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia..._0_en.pdf.html

You may want to consider if you really need MultimediaDD. As I understand it, this capability is kinda "optional" in that you can still use multimedia services without it but don't have the ability to set your priority.

Thank you all for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by stichbury
    You may want to consider if you really need MultimediaDD. As I understand it, this capability is kinda "optional" in that you can still use multimedia services without it but don't have the ability to set your priority.
    I couldn't understand what did you mean by this. Would you please clarrify it.

Let me describe you about my application. I need an application that can record and playback audio simultaneously. I have downloaded such an appliaction. But to run this application in 3rd Ed, I need to install Audio Proxy Server(APS) and there is another application to test the APS. And this test application require MultimediaDD enabled DevCert.

Super Contributor

Sure, I'll try to clarify what I meant by "this capability is kinda "optional" in that you can still use multimedia services without it but don't have the ability to set your priority". Apologies if that was rather vague.

From the Platform Security book by Symbian Press (p 220): MultimediaDD is needed for "access to critical multimedia functions such as direct access to associated device drivers and priority access to multimedia APIs".

So, unless you need to access the hardware directly, or need highest priority access to it, as I understand it you don't necessarily need MultimediaDD. There will be alternative APIs or functions within particular APIs provided to perform common multimedia tasks that don't require that capability. Of course, they don't give you the same degree of control or privilege, and it's not clear if there's *always* an alternative, but I think there's scope for working without it in some cases. Which is desirable unless you want to submit to the application process for it. See this for one person's experience of doing so (for Network Control) http://blog.novelinteractions.com/?p=15

You could take a look at the list of methods that require MultimediaDD on the Symbian site, then check for overloads that don't take priority settings

http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...Capablity.html

In the case of the test app in question - it presumably requires the capability because it's requesting a particular priority in the APS. But does your app itself actually need to do this? This is what you'll have to prove to get it, and I reckon you may not have to do so.

HTH!