Discussion Board

Making VOIP calls and WLAN detection

hey guys,

New to the forum. Need some help to get started here. I want to be able to detect WLAN networks (that is Wi-Fi scanning). Is it possible using MIDP...I am aware that it is possible using Symbian OS C++. It would be great if someone could tell me if any APIs are available to do this on Java MIDP.

Also..is it possible to make VOIP calls through an MIDP app. I mean I am looking to create an app that will enable VOIP on the phone so that I can make internet calls using a wi-fi connection. Is it possible on MIDP or will I have to use C++ again. Please guide me here....any help appreciated. Thanks very much.

Super Contributor

Re: Making VOIP calls and WLAN detection

You can use whatever access point you want in your MIDlet. The APN is selected by the user from a APN list, your MIDlet does not have any control over that.

There is no direct support for VOIP in Java ME, however some phones support SIP API (JSR-180).

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    You can use whatever access point you want in your MIDlet. The APN is selected by the user from a APN list, your MIDlet does not have any control over that.

There is no direct support for VOIP in Java ME, however some phones support SIP API (JSR-180).

Hartti
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if its possible to control the APN part through code. Like if I wanted to switch between GSM and VOIP, I would need to detect APN's and then allow the user to select it from the list.

So is SIP the same as VOIP?? I have heard them used interchangeably and I am quite confused myself. What is the difference? If I use SIP (JSR 180), will I be able to make and receive Internet calls? Would appreciate some help here. thanks.

Super Contributor

APN selection. Not possible through Java code. The system takes care of this.

SIP can be used to create VOIP functionality, but it is not the only protocol used in VOIP applications

You can find a lot of information about VOIP and SIP just through Google.

Hartti