Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nokia 6131 NFC (JSR 257) reader phone communication

Is anybody know how to make communication between Nokia 6131 NFC phone and RFID reader, or it's only possible with JavaCard applet installed on secure element.
    JSR 257 has ISO 14443 interface to communicate with smart cards (internal, external), I just wonder is it possible to use this interface to communicate with reader.

Regular Contributor

Re: Nokia 6131 NFC (JSR 257) reader phone communication

Can you please describe in more detail what you are trying to do?

Is this related to the communication between an external reader and the internal secure element on the phone (by placing the phone in the external reader)? Or are you trying to communicate with a smart card placed in the external reader through the SDK Emulator?

The communication between an external reader and just the phone itself is not possible, but I’m not sure if this is what you were asking about.

I’d be happy to help with more info once I get more details about your problem.
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

I want to make MIDlet which can communicate with external reader (send data to external reader (Pegoda,Cardman) and receive data from it).
    I wonder is it possible to do?

Regular Contributor

When you place the NFC phone in an external reader, the reader detects the internal secure element of the phone and can communicate with it.

However, the data exchanged between the external reader and the secure element might be encrypted, depending on the application (in the secure element and also in the reader). An applet can expose commads that do not require any form of security or it can also require strong authentication and encryption for some other commands. The same applet can have both types of commands - depending on application requirements, specification and design.

You can make a MIDlet that detects the presence of an external reader and announces this event once you take the phone away from the reader (using TransactionListener.externalReaderDetected method), but this notification only informs the MIDlet that there might be changes in the data on the secure element. The MIDlet can then open an internal connection to the secure element and use ISO14443Connection to exchange data with the secure element using APDU commands.

I hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by Raluca_; 2007-04-02 at 08:13.
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

Regular Contributor

You might also find the NFCIP-1 communication useful, as the JSR 257 provides an API extension for NFC peer to peer connections. The com.nokia.nfc.p2p package contains the NFCIPConnection interface for communication between two NFCIP devices.

The connection mode (either target or initiator) is decided when opening the connection using the javax.microedition.io.Connector class.

An initiator mode connection can be opened with the URL nfc:rf;type=nfcip;mode=initiator and a target mode connection with nfc:rf;type=nfcip;mode=target.

In initiator mode one has to first send data and after that receive a response from the target device. In target mode the communication starts by receiving data and then sending a response to the received data. If the correct method isn't called an javax.microedition.contactless.ContactlessException will be thrown.

The current version of the Nokia 6131 NFC SDK supports the NFCIPConnection as a stub, so you can use the SDK to develop and compile MIDlets that you can then test and use on the phone.

I hope you find this useful. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Raluca_
    You might also find the NFCIP-1 communication useful, as the JSR 257 provides an API extension for NFC peer to peer connections. The com.nokia.nfc.p2p package contains the NFCIPConnection interface for communication between two NFCIP devices.
    I am quite sure P2P is not working with all NFCIP-1 external readers. For example, the one from ARYGON or the PN531-USB from NXP.
    This is because Nokia has its own top level protocol to do NFC P2P (NTIP) and NFC Forum has not release the LLCP specs yet. Can you confirm ?

Regular Contributor

Regarding the Peer 2 Peer connection, i tried to implement it but it return a ClassNotFound exception.

Have anyone know the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by tdelazzari
    I am quite sure P2P is not working with all NFCIP-1 external readers. For example, the one from ARYGON or the PN531-USB from NXP.
    This is because Nokia has its own top level protocol to do NFC P2P (NTIP) and NFC Forum has not release the LLCP specs yet. Can you confirm ?
    We got our PN531-device to exhange data with 6131 so P2P connection (NFCIP) works. 3220 didn't work because of that own protocol it uses.

Quote Originally Posted by vpt111
    We got our PN531-device to exhange data with 6131 so P2P connection (NFCIP) works. 3220 didn't work because of that own protocol it uses.
    Could you tell, please where did you get PN531-device. And what language you used to build PN531 reader application.

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Nokia 6131 NFC (JSR 257) reader phone communication

Good news if P2P works with this reader !
    I'll try with mine. SDK language is C and ask NXP for a PN531. Can't tell you more, sorry.
    Finalist, First European NFC Competition 2007
    2nd Prize Research Track, NFC Forum Global Competition 2008
    NFC Project Manager at the University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France
    http://tdelazzari.blogspot.com

Kindly let me know whether the P2P works with ARYGON reader.

Quite interested myself to know if P2P is possible and proven between a Phone and a PC equipped with any type of reader (PN531??).

Also some details on the various stacks/HW used would be helpful.

Use case: to send data (not particularly secured) between phone and kiosk.

note: we did manage to make the P2P work phone to phone so that is not what I am looking for here.

Thanks in advance

I'm starting with a project with the Nokia 6131 NFC phone and want to make a P2P connection with the Arygon ADRA NFC/Mifare USB reader (with a PN531 chip inside).

Can someone help me on my way?

Does anyone know if its possible or already is been done. Arygon sais it should be possible. Does anyone know this?

greetz

Regular Contributor

Did you succeed in starting your project?
    I'm startin g asimilar project right now with ADRA reader, can you give me some tips if you've already started?

Some (maybe too many )questions:
    - What kind of app are you developing? What programming language are you using?
    - How do you communicate to ADRA? Are you implementing a virtual com port in your code and then send through it the commands to reader?
    - Are you using NXP proprietary TAMA language in order to set uo the NFCIP connection? If so can you provide some snippets?

Thanks very much in advance

I made a PC2PhoneChat, like the NFCIP-1 peer to peer chat MIDlet, but then with the Desktop Reader. Also a P2P vCard Exchanger. Its not very hard to develop progs when the peer to peer communication works. All written in C#.

Yes I open a connection with the COM port and send byte arrays to the reader if you are using the TAMA language.

But if you want to develop in C++ or something, there is a HAL SDK from NXP which you can request on the NXP site. It doesn't work with the ADRA but Its easier to develop with this if you can adapt the HAL SDK for the ADRA, probably by changing there tama frame builder code so the frame starts with a 32(this let you use the TAMA commands). The HAL SDK also has some examples with peer to peer, this examples you can snif with a com port monitor. i found my TAMA code this way.

I only work with the passive communication mode, active didn't work for me yet. But if you need more help email me, maybe give some information about yourself.

Kind Regards FW