Discussion Board

RE: Connect Nokia 7650 Emulator to Internet via modem/RAS on Win2000/WinXP Pro

Hi, pchen4089,
    check your mailbox

Hi, alexlinde2,
    If you are using the Emulator, then you should set longer connect time out value (i.e. 90 seconds is better).

In fact, I found that you can use this file:
    x:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Release\WINC\UDEB\mRouterLite.exe
    (here, x: is the drive symbian installed)
    to replace m-Router program. And, you should select the incoming data comm port(i.e. COMM1 is used by Emulator to dial out and COMM2 is used for dialing in, then should select COM2) when you run mRouterLite.
    Certainly, the Null modem cable is still necessary.

Connect Nokia 7650 Emulator to Internet via modem/RAS on Win2000/WinXP Pro

Connect Nokia 7650 Emulator in Symbian Series60 SDK v6.1 to Internet via modem or RAS on Win2000 Pro/WinXP Pro
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Environment:
    Two Comm Port or more on a desktop PC
    Win2000 Professional or WinXP Professional ( I only test on these two OSs
    SERIES 60 SDK FOR SYMBIAN OS Chinese BETA PREVIEW V6.1, Nokia 7650 emulator
    Null modem cable ( needed ONLY only if you want connect to internet via LAN of desktop PC)

Although Series 60 SDK documents said "Developers will therefore need to disable the monitoring functionality" ( segmtent:How to configure comms settings ), I found that either Comm1 or Comm2 could be used for dialing out.

Firstly, you should get NEW data file cdbv2.dat from "Symbian" page on http://www.digstud.se, and put it in:
    Symbian\6.1Series60\Epoc32\Wins\c\system\data
    A). Connect to Internet via modem on the desktop PC:
    1. Connect modem to comm port on your desktop PC(supposing COMMx,x is 1,2,3,4 etc.), make a normal dial-up networking connection(make it the default dial-up networking) and be sure it work well
    2. Run Symbian\6.1\Shared\EPOC32\Tools\setupcomms.bat
    3. Press key "a" to select "Modems" item and make following changes:
    1>. if your modem is connected to a COMM port other than COMM1, then you must change
    PortName:COMM::0 to PortName:COMM::Y
    note Y is portnumber-1, i.e. if the modem is connected to COMM2, then Y should be 1
    2>. TSYName:NTRASTSY to TSYName:HAYES
    3>. SpeakerPref:< Never > to < Always >
    SpeakerVolPref: < Quiet > to < Medium >
    (make these two changes let you can hear dialling tone when modem is dialing)
    press key "Enter", save the changes (don't forget do this!)
    press key "Esc", quit to top screen
    4. Press key "3" to select "IAP" item and make following change:
    1>. ISP:< RAS PPP > to < Direct PPP >
    5. Press key "1" to select "Outgoing Connection Prefs" item and make following change: (maybe you have to press the key 4 or 5 times
    1>. IAP:< RAS PPP > to < Direct PPP >
    6. Press key "q" quit "setupcomms"
    7. Build and run the example "sockets" in Symbian\6.1\Series60\Series60Ex\Sockets8. on the Emulator, select Menu(press F1) "Tools" -> "Control Panel" -> "Internet access (IAPs)" -> "Direct PPP"
    1>. set "TelNum:" to tel number of your ISP, i.e. "9 12345678"
    2>. set "IfAuthName:" to your account id, i.e. "DialUser"
    3>. set "IfAuthPass:" to your account password, i.e. "******"
    4>. select "Back", return to main Menu
    9. Select "other", then select "SOCKETS" icon, select "Options" -> "Connect", fill an IP address in "Server name" and port number in "Port number",then click "OK", if your modem begin dial in a few seconds and you get message "Connected" in about 30 seconds,then it's OK!
    10.if your modem working in TONE mode but dialing in PULSE mode, run setupcomms.bat again, select "b) Locations" item, change "WaitForDialTone" to True and press "Enter " to save; run Sockets example on Emulator and quit; run setupcomms.bat again and change "WaitForDialTone" in "b) Locations" item to True and press "Enter" to save. I don't know why it's so strange !

B). Connect to Internet via LAN of your desktop PC:
    In most cases, maybe your desktop PC has been connected to Internet via xDSL or Cable and there is NO modem on the PC.
    I could NOT make the Emulator connect to Internet via RAS on win2000/winXP in a few weeks
    But I found that a tool maybe useful in this forum and I got it, it's Intuwave's m-Router (homepage is http://www.intuwave.com), I got a beta version of the tool (don't ask me for it, you can search it from Internet

1. Connect Null modem cable between two COMM ports on you PC, i.e. COMM1 and COMM2 (supposing COMM1 is used by Emulator to dial out and COMM2 is used for dialing in)
    2. Replace Symbian\6.1Series60\Epoc32\Wins\c\system\data\cdbv2.dat with the file you get from http://www.digstud.se
    3. Run Symbian\6.1\Shared\EPOC32\Tools\setupcomms.bat
    4. Press key "a" to select "Modems" item and make following changes:
    1>. PortName:COMM::0
    note "COMM::0" means COMM1 used by Emulator to dial out
    2>. TSYName:NTRASTSY to TSYName:HAYES
    press key "Enter", save the changes
    5.Press key "q" quit "setupcomms"(the original setting of IAP is "Ras PPP" and do NOT change it)
    6.Run Intuwave's m-Router Deluxe, set COMM1 "DISABLED" and COMM2 "ENABLED" (then m-Router will redirect connect request coming from COMM2 to Internet and let COMM1 be)
    7.Be sure that your PC is connected to Internet
    8.Run Sockets example again, start connect, status of COMM2 should be changed to "connected" in m-Router Deluxe and the screen of Emulator will display "Connected" message in a few seconds; If the comm port in m-Router do NOT "connect", check the Null modem cable.

May you success.

Hello:
    I have a question about this!Why I can't find "Tools" -> "Control Panel" -> "Internet access (IAPs)" -> "Direct PPP" in my 7650 Emulator?Where is it??Because I can't find it ,when I run "sockets" in Emulator ,there allways has a error.Anyone can tell me how to solve it??

Thanks
    NFX

Cannot find "Tools" -> "Control Panel" -> "Internet access (IAPs)&quo

Dear Youth_Jack,

I have followed your steps to do, but I cannot find "Tools" -> "Control Panel" -> "Internet access (IAPs)" -> "Direct PPP" on my Emulator, I am using the "Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS v1.0". Does it has different from your SDK? Please give me reply asap. Thanks!

7. Build and run the example "sockets" in Symbian\6.1\Series60\Series60Ex\Sockets8. on the Emulator, select Menu(press F1) "Tools" -> "Control Panel" -> "Internet access (IAPs)" -> "Direct PPP"
    1>. set "TelNum:" to tel number of your ISP, i.e. "9 12345678"
    2>. set "IfAuthName:" to your account id, i.e. "DialUser"
    3>. set "IfAuthPass:" to your account password, i.e. "******"
    4>. select "Back", return to main Menu

Re: Connect Nokia 7650 Emulator to Internet via modem/RAS on Win2000/WinXP Pro

i've a problem , I can't connect to internet via modem via Emulator in Symbian Series60 SDK v7.0