Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Multiple developer certificates

Hi,

nowadays one can get developer certificates containing max. 100 IMEIs. Is it possible for one developer / legal entity to obtain multiple developer certificates each containing 100 IMEIs (say, 10x DevCert with 100 IMEIs ?).

Regards,

Rene
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Super Contributor

Re: Multiple developer certificates

Theoretically it should be possible (although I haven't tried it yet).

You just need to submit your request to Symbian Signed 10x. Then you will get 10 certificates.

The challenge is how you manage those 1000 devices with 10 certificates. It may a little bit tricky.

Antony

Hi Antony,

this question is related to the other thread: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...4&goto=newpost

If possible, we intend to build a communication gateway which receives the IMEI number and will find the correct SISX for installation on the phone. The system will also have a software distribution system such that new SISX files can be easily deployed to the communication gateway (some tool where you can press "Sign App" and it will generate 10 SISX files each signed with a different DevCert). I admit it is tricky, but it will provide us the flexibility to introduce quick changes into the mobile measurement software, without going through Symbian Signed. A project will never consists of more than approx. 1000 users.

For the software distribution platform we would need to make a design first - otherwise it might become indeed complicated and not managable.

Thanks for your contribution!

Regards,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

Super Contributor

Got it now.

Will your system be connected to Symbian Signed? I mean requesting developer certificate automatically? It won't be possible right now because Symbian has added "captcha" system into their developer's certificate. It looks like they want to make sure that only "human" who requests for developer certificate.

About generating multiple certificates for the same ACS ID, as I said, I don't have experience on it. I am an independent developer with no ACS ID. Since I don't have ACS ID, I can only request one certificate per request. However, I can generate several certificate for multiple devices by sending multiple requests. It is a little bit of work, but it solves the problem. No need ACS ID, but I can generate several certificates.

I have written an open letter to Symbian Signed authority to improve the process too, http://mobile.antonypranata.com/2007...ned-authority/. Hope they will do something to make the process painless.

Antony

Hi Antony,

oh - that would also be an idea. Actually I was not planning to interface the system automatically with the Symbian Signed system. The DevCert will be valid for 6 months. Normally the project at hand will not run that long. So we would request once all the certificates for all the IMEIs and use some software system that a phone connects, request a SISX update (higher version of the software) and the system will generate or select the required SISX for that specific IMEI on the fly (including signing).

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven