Discussion Board

How to play H264 format files using symbian mmf?

Hi,

How do i get the library "DevVideo.lib" from Symbian sdk.This library is does not come with the final product.
    Another question is,I have a H264 decoder with me.Now I want to play the H264 format files using mmf.I have tried to develop a pluggin but I find that this H264 codec is not supported.

regards

Re: How to play H264 format files using symbian mmf?

Hi,

I'm sorry I don't understand your questions.

It is possible to develop an MMF plugin for H.264. The latest Nokia phones actually already support H.264 (N80 was the first to do so I believe).

Please try to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to do and what the problem is if you want some help. e.g. What do you mean when you say "I have an H264 decoder with me"? Is it an MMF plugin? Just a library written in C/C++? Has it been ported to run on Symbian at all? In what way is your H.264 codec "not supported"?

Sorcery

hi Sorcery,

By H264 decoder,I mean that i have all the libraries and the C-code in which the decoder is written.I am able play a H264 format video file on the Nokia emulator available with Symbian.But i have not used any MMF.The decoded frames are actually thrown to the screen directly.

I would like to implement the above using MMF.How do I go about for writing the controller part.I want to implement all the usual media player functions like play,pause etc.

I have refered the details of "How to Write Controller Plugin" which is available on the Symbian MMF link.

Could you kindly give me any suggestions regarding the above.....

with regards,
    talktocnit

Hi,

Why do you want to use MMF? For learning purposes or to deliver a product? If you can already decode and play video's on Symbian what benefit will you get from MMF?

My only suggestions if you've already read the guide in the SDK are to look at the publicly available examples of MMF usage in Symbian Ogg Player and the Helix DNA Client. There are also some other posts about the subject on this forum already.

Sorcery

hi,

The reason I am using MMF is that it is easier to implement most of the media player like functions.
    Now I would like to develop a plugin so that if incase I develop a decoder for any other formats in the future,I could directly plug it in along with my controller plugin.

regards

Super Contributor

What i can suggest is try looking in to the Helix Symbian Port Code. You can get a good idea how to implement a Plugin to a player.