Discussion Board

Question Nasty special character editor problem

Our app includes a window owning control that contains a single CEikEdwin control as a child. Simple text input and caret motion behaves as expected when the CEikEdwin has focus, but with two exceptions:

1.) If the text insert caret is positioned at the right end of the accumulated string in the CEikEdwin control when the special character map is triggered ( via '*' key ), then the first right direction key ( '>' ) in the character map does not change the special character map selection. Instead, that first right direction key wraps the text insertion caret of the CEikEdwin control to the left end of its accumulated string. Subsequent right direction key strokes do change the special character map selection as expected and don't affect the CEikEdwin control's caret position. The result is that an attempt to append a special character to a string prepends it instead.

2.) The opposite. If the text insert caret is positioned at the left end of the accumulated string in the CEikEdwin control when the special character map is triggered, then the first left direction key ( '<' ) in the character map does not change the special character map selection. Instead, thet first left direction key wraps the text insertion caret of the CEikEdwin control to the right end of its accumulated string. Subsequent right direction key strokes do change the special character map selection as expected and don't affect the CEikEdwin control's caret position. So, an attempt to prepend a special character to a string appends it instead.

How can this interaction between the CEikEdwin control and the special character map arise? How can we avoid the misbehavior?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Nasty special character editor problem

I am also facing the same problem !

I have caught the right key event in offerkeyeventL and specifically edited the editor cursor position. But this is not the right way of doing things !
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks. I noticed your post also.

Manipulating the cursor position directly does seem like cheating... Paul Todd sent us the advice that there was a possible workaround embedded in the S60 WebKit code, FInputlFormattedEditor.cpp/h, CInputFormattedEditor :: SpecialStaticHandlingL(). That code also seems to manipulate the cursor position based on what it already knows about what is in the string being edited.

I have been trying to make a debuggable build of the WebKit, so far without success, so that I can see what is being sent to the CEikEdwin by the right- and left- arrow controls.

We also discovered that the UIQ 3 SDK has an added flag, "ENoCursorWrap" available for its version of CEikEdwin, but of course we have no source code to know how they might have implemented the functionality.
    <url>http://developer.uiq.com/devlib/uiq_30/SDKDocumentation/uiq/uiqreference/QEikStd/CEikEdwinClass.html#%3a%3aCEikEdwin%3a%3aENoCursorWrap</url>
    is the online doc about it.

I'll post again if we find a solution, or if I get the WebKit going in the debugger. Good luck to you! Let us know if you find something useful! This is the only item holding up our Symbian Signed submission.

Angry FEP processing stealing keystrokes!

We've used a HandleEdwinEventL( ) observer to confirm that the CEikEdwin control does get an EEventNavigation when the first '>' key is pressed in the special character map and that its CursorPos( ) has been set to 0. We've tried resetting the CEikEdwin control 's cursor to the end of its text with SetCursorPosL( ) but still, when the next '>' key press and enter selects a character from the special character map, the EEventTextUpdate shows that the selected character was inserted into the 0 position of the string anyway. Subsequent redisplay of the CEikEdwin control shows its cursor at the end of its accumulated string and the special character at its start.

We believe the CEikEdwin control derives from MCoeFepAwareTextEditor, that a default FEP is processing all keystrokes so that we don't see any of them and that a CEikCharMapDialog is inline editing the CEikEdwin control's text buffer. These interfaces all seem to be out of our reach.

Super Contributor

Hey grant,

You could try setting up an observer for the FEP transaction using CCoeEnv::AddFepObserverL and try to fix it that way.

I would start with a simple test bed first anyway and try and fix it that way