Discussion Board

Lightbulb S40 - Addition of Backlight Setting

First of all i would like to say a hello to all the Forum Nokia members, since it is the first time i am posting here.

Hopefully this post is in the correct board, if not i will re-post it where it should go.

I recently bought a Nokia 6131 (Firmware: v5.50 2006-09-20) and went about configuring its settings to gain the maximum amount of power out of the phone's battery between charges.

In an effort to improve it further I also created a MIDlet that would completely turn off the backlight. This worked as expected except that Series 40 phones do not have the ability to minimise running applications as I soon discovered.

So i was wondering if there was anyway of suggesting to the development team behind Nokia's firmwares, the addition of a backlight brightness and duration setting for the external and internal displays.

Super Contributor

Re: S40 - Addition of Backlight Setting

Hi Flying Fox! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

AFAIK, Its not possible to change the light settings of the phone's firmware with a Java application.
    There are some localized end user product support forums and one that is monitored and where you can get attention and solutions http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/.

Regards
    Gopal

Thanks balagopalks for your reply and link. I will be sure to check it out.

I did not actually want to control the firmware from within the MIDlet. But I was wondering if Nokia's firmware developers could add a new setting (in their next firmware release) to Menu->Settings that would give the user control of the backlight of their phone. Such as the keypad & display backlight brightness (off to maximum) and the duration it remains on after the last interaction with the phone.

Super Contributor

I have seen the similar option in my S60 device - N73 > Menu >> Tools >> Settings >>Phone >> Display. I dont have an S40 device like 6131 to try for similar settings.

Regards
    Gopal

Unfortunately these settings do not correlate with my phone, but thanks for the information none the less.

On my phone I have Menu -> Settings -> Main Display OR Mini Display. From these I can set Power Save On (which it is by default) and the screensaver which is not efficient as it give keeps the backlight on for longer, so I keep this off. Whilst the other options do not relate to the backlight or its duration.

Do you know if the Nokia firmware developers read the suggestions in these forums?

I know this is a serious necro post, but I figure it's relevant, and better than creating a new thread for the exact same reason.
    It has been 4 years since this thread was started and there is still no brightness adjustment setting on S40 phones (in my case, the newly bought X2-01). It is excruciatingly vexing to see the phone's charge go down like a lead ball. And I don't even do anything. I previously has the Nokia 5230 and was extremely happy with it. It's battery life was nearly what I'm getting for the X2-01, except I did a whole lot more on the 5230. One reason I believe for this is the screen brightness. There is no way to adjust the brightness, or the backlight time whatsoever, and the screen is stuck on maximum brightness.

4 years and there is still no clear answer from Nokia on this issue, and it's very frustrating. It's not as if this is an isolated problem, many people have complained about it, in the Nokia forums and Discussions alone. Why hasn't this been corrected? I beg Nokia to at least give a reason for not addressing this problem. I'm very VERY close to switching to Samsung from Nokia after 6 years. I'm the obsessive kind and I literally can't sleep at night every day. My budget is the only ONLY thing stopping me from getting another phone and dump the X2-01 merely 3 months after buying it. I've even updated the firmware to v 8.63 RM-709 on 25 March 2011, but nothing's changed.

If anyone knows how I can actually reach the people concerned, please let me know. Thank you.

- Gautham

PS: Excellent work on the 5230, though. Amazing value for money (especially after flashing with the firmware mods out there). It's very sad that I lost my phone, I was in love with it.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by gautham_y View Post
    If anyone knows how I can actually reach the people concerned, please let me know.
    You won't find anyone on this discussion area that can help. This is dedicated for developer's support and at this time we do not have any formal links with the design engineers and they do not read this message board.
    You can try to post on http://www.nokia.com/discussions/ that might help.

Ron

Thank you very much Ron, much appreciated