Discussion Board

Exclamation Series 60 is rubbish compared to S40

firstly, it takes ages for an S60 to start up. not to mention how slow it is when you first start it up. as for the music player, the series 40 may be a bit slower to start off with, but after its loaded, IT STAYS LOADED. unlike on an S60 phone which has to keep re loading everytime you exit the music player, and sometimes it wont even load, you have to exit then re enter and it takes AGES. and if you want to set something as your ringtone on an S40 phone, you just easily go to it in gallery and set it as whatever tone you like. however on a series 60 you have to go to setting tones profiles, and wait like 5 mins for the list of tones to select to load, and if its on the memory card, well no, you have to move it to the phone memory, then back to the memory card before you can select it as a ringtone. series 60 is very unstable

Super Contributor

Re: Series 60 is rubbish compared to S40

Hi kinetically! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

Which S60 phone are you mentioning about? hmm.. in my personal experience also till S60 2nd edition the S60 phones were slower(not that much slower!). But the new S60 3rd edition is more better and faster. I had an N90 which is of S60 2nd ed and now am using an N73 which is of S60 3rd ed. The N73 is far better than the N90(in terms of usability).

Regards
    Gopal

i own a Nokia 6280 and a Nokia N70

I have a N70.It's quite frustrating.I v got a lot of complaint to say.
    all below are flaws what I think making no sense:

First , it's too slow. It takes 1 min everytime it's switched on.
    Second , it can set different tone of incoming call for different caller , but it can't do the same on incoming message.
    Third, USB can be conneted with a computer only after PC suite is installed.
    Fourth, incoming calls are only showed a name and nothing , the problem is : if i put 2 or more numbers into that name in the phone book, i can't know what number he is using to call me .

..... i also got other to say . let me revise it then post.

Nokia Developer Moderator

While feedback is appreciated please note that this is a forum for 3rd party developers and as such there's not much to gain from complaining here.

As end-users I can only advice you to think twice before you're buying a product. You like S40 .. buy a S40 phone.

For feedback use the product support channel, this way your message gets to those who can decide what goes on one device and what not. Nokia's business units are S60 licensees as any others and they will add on top of the platform whatever is needed to make their products the best in class. However, if one needs separate ringtones for the incoming SMS messages it does not mean that anybody else cares about such a feature.

I appreciate your professional advice. You suggest that I'd better choose other brand instead of NOKIA when buying my next mobile phone. And I know well that this is a forum for s60 3rd edition. However, what I quoted and mentioned are all very pratical and prevalent and OS-unrelated. In addition, as a comsumer, I still have a strong rationale that an manufacturer should do as better as possible. For example, I don't know how you solve my 4th problem if you have a friend who have a few telephone numbers. What I did is that I related one number only to one name. Besides, I typed that number after the name.

sample:
    Name: John Smith 12345678901
    mobile number:12345678901
    address:....
    email:....
    .... and so on

Name: John Smith 98765432101
    mobile number:98765432101
    address:....
    email:....
    .... and so on

two "John Smith"s are a same person.

Do you think this way convenient? Yes, I did this way since I don't know any more convenient alternative.

My advice was to chose between a Series 40 or a S60 device (the later may indeed be a Nokia or not) but if you chose another brand is entirely up to you.

Also, this forum is not for S60 3rd Edition but for 3rd party developers, that is programmers that write applications on top of the software platforms provided by Nokia. Your comments here might help these developers design applications that would eventually fulfill your needs but if you want these features to be built in on Nokia's devices there are other channels for forwarding your ideas.

Super Contributor

Just out of curiosity. It never has occurred to me that it would be important to know which phone number someone is using to call me. and I have not heard anyone else wanting to know that.
    I am guessing that this has not been brought up in the requirements at all and hence this feature is missing (however I am not involved in the product/platform development so I do not know for sure). to be able to assess how widespread this need is it would be nice to know, why you want to know the phone number used. If this is too personal question, no need to answer.

Hartti

One thing that bugs me sometimes a bit is that I can not see the number of the caller (just the name) in recent lists. Basically this is important, for example when I have a friend that has phone numbers from several different countries, then when I don't want to make an internation call and I have a missed call, I need to first call to the missed item, and see which number flashes on the screen to know, whether the call was local or international.

yucca

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by superitfan_limuliang
    First , it's too slow. It takes 1 min everytime it's switched on.Also these devices are really not made to be restarted quite often.
    Think like it's a small computer in your hand and you will reason with the boot time.
    Second , it can set different tone of incoming call for different caller , but it
    can't do the same on incoming message.
    Can't help on this one.
    Third, USB can be conneted with a computer only after PC suite is installed.
    This depends from phone to phone,some devices with USB(N-Gage) could be connected to PC(without PC suite installed) and it could act as drive.
    Fourth, incoming calls are only showed a name and nothing , the problem is : if i put 2 or more numbers into that name in the phone book, i can't know what number he is using to call me .
    Just try this in the Logs application : Options -> Use Number -> Edit and you can see the number.

..... i also got other to say . let me revise it then post.
    Ya sure bring it on.
    --Mayur.

Super Contributor

Series 60 is not that bad after all.
    --Mayur.
    Last edited by mayur_24; 2007-04-27 at 10:35.

Super Contributor

Thanks Yucca, your explanation makes sense.

Hartti

I don't agree with you. i own an E66 3rd ED and its very fast, you shouldn't rate all because your isn't good

???

so i have S40v5 (7500 prism) phone and it's slow ye
    i had an N70 whit Symbian OS v8.1a
    and it'was a bit faster than the S40v5
    but my S40 (Prism 7500) is an hero i froget it on rain for
    about 24h and it works fine but the S60 was killed by me
    from some TEST'S don't ask