Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Provisioned VoIP profile not “active” until it has been “touched” on the phone

I’m provisioning a VoIP and SIP profile using OMA Client Provisioning and have a problem that the profile is not “activated” until I touch the VoIP profile manually.

The phone says “no internet call services” when doing a manual registration using the “Internet telephony” application. If I open the VoIP profile and just confirms one of the settings, for example the profile name, everything is OK.

Anyone got a clue of what is causing this? My first guess was that I failed to send a complete profile but including "every" VoIP settings specified in the “Client_Provisioning_Registration_v1_7.zip” doesn’t solve the problem. Also, when sending a e-mail profile, this behavior is not seen.

This behavior is seen on VoIP release 2.0 phones (N80ie, E61i, E65) and E61 with release 1.0.

Any help with this problem is highly appreciated.

This is the VoIP and SIP provisioning document I’m sending:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE wap-provisioningdoc PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD PROV 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/prov.dtd">
    <wap-provisioningdoc version="1.1">

<!-- Nokia VoIP release 2.0 settings, w9013 -->
    <characteristic type="APPLICATION">
    <parm name="APPID" value="w9013"/>
    <parm name="PROVIDER-ID" value="VoIP provider"/>
    <parm name="NAME" value="VoIP"/>
    <parm name="TO-APPREF" value="sipref"/>

<!-- VoIP Codec parameters -->
    <!-- G711 u-law with default values -->
    <characteristic type="CODEC">
    <parm name="MEDIASUBTYPE" value="4"/>
    <parm name="PRIORITYINDEX" value="0"/>
    </characteristic>

<!-- G711 a-law with default values -->
    <parm name="MEDIASUBTYPE" value="3"/>
    <parm name="PRIORITYINDEX" value="1"/>
    </characteristic>

<!-- CN Comfort noise with default values -->
    <parm name="MEDIASUBTYPE" value="9"/>
    <parm name="PRIORITYINDEX" value="2"/>
    </characteristic>
    </characteristic> <!-- Nokia VoIP release 2.0 settings, w9013 -->

<!-- SIP settings -->
    <characteristic type="APPLICATION">
    <parm name="APPID" value="w9010"/>
    <parm name="APPREF" value="sipref"/>
    <parm name="PROVIDER-ID" value="VoIP provider"/>
    <parm name="PTYPE" value="IETF"/>
    <parm name="PUID" value="foo"/>
    <parm name="NAME" value="VoIP "/>
    <parm name="APROTOCOL" value="UDP"/>
    <parm name="TO-NAPID" value="napref"/>

<!-- Registrator -->
    <characteristic type="RESOURCE">
    <parm name="URI" value="foo.bar.com:5060;transport=UDP"/>
    <parm name="AAUTHNAME" value="bar"/>
    <parm name="AAUTHSECRET" value="foo"/>
    <parm name="AAUTHDATA" value="foo.bar.com"/>
    </characteristic><!-- RESOURCE -->
    </characteristic><!-- APPLICATION -->

</wap-provisioningdoc>

frodek
    Last edited by frodek; 2007-04-09 at 10:33.

Re: Provisioned VoIP profile not “active” until it has been “touched” on the phone

What's even worse is that until the VoIP profile has been "touched" as described above, plain GSM telephony doesn't work either on an E65 (call or receive calls) ! Even after a reboot this doesn't work. The only solution to get the phone to work again is either to "touch" the VoIP profile or delete it.

Another consequence is that it is not possible to get back to the "stand mode UI" by selecting Exit when in the phone menu.

frodek
    Last edited by frodek; 2007-04-16 at 11:19.

Re: Provisioned VoIP profile not “active” until it has been “touched” on the phone

Hi,

What do You use to send OMA message? We have similiar problem and Nokia claims it is server issue.

Kefi

Quote Originally Posted by kefasek
    What do You use to send OMA message? We have similar problem and Nokia claims it is server issue.
    Kefi
    I have coded a server in Java that creates the xml provisioning-doc, does the wbxml encoding, adds the WSP-header, splits the data suitable SMS-packets and adds the WDP header. The SMS are sent talking JMS to an internal SMS-service.

It seems strange, for me at least, that this problem is a server issue since the phone just silently discards Client Provisioning messages with errors and since the phone verifies the message using MAC on content using the pin code as the key. Also, since "any" other settings work except the VoIP-profile. But of course, I can't really rule out that this is not my fault since I have to admit to created a bug or two in my history as a developer...

Regards
    frodek

I'm having this exact same problem. I've confirmed it on the E65, E61 AND the E60. Like frodec the TO-APPREF and APPREF are set correctly. I'm using kannel (1.4.1) to WBXML encode and send the message. I've read in the Nokia docs somewhere that the WBXML encoder must be "aware" of the parameters mentioned but looking at the kannel logs, I don't see anything untoward.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that there is no mention of APPREF in Client_Provisioning_Registration_v1_6.zip, the version 1 documentation (w9010.txt)?

Quote Originally Posted by frodek
    What's even worse is that until the VoIP profile has been "touched" as described above, plain GSM telephony doesn't work either on an E65 (call or receive calls) ! Even after a reboot this doesn't work. The only solution to get the phone to work again is either to "touch" the VoIP profile or delete it.

Another consequence is that it is not possible to get back to the "stand mode UI" by selecting Exit when in the phone menu.

frodek
    You may be able to work around this problem (phone freezing) by not setting the default call type to "Internet Call". On Nokia VoIP Release 1, this is set to Internet by default when a SIP/Profile exists but NOT on Release 2. Are you using the w9033.txt setting in release 2 ("VoIP terminal general behaviour settings") to set this behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by franco_m
    You may be able to work around this problem (phone freezing) by not setting the default call type to "Internet Call". On Nokia VoIP Release 1, this is set to Internet by default when a SIP/Profile exists but NOT on Release 2. Are you using the w9033.txt setting in release 2 ("VoIP terminal general behaviour settings") to set this behaviour?
    Thanks. But I still prefer to not use "Internet Call" as default type for some time....

My coding is based on "w9033.txt".

I've read in the Nokia docs somewhere that the WBXML encoder must be "aware" of the parameters mentioned but looking at the kannel logs, I don't see anything untoward.
    I'm using libwbxml (http://libwbxml.aymerick.com). Testing the xml-file with the 'xml2wbxml' program indicates that this is should not be a problem.

regards
    frodek
    Last edited by frodek; 2007-04-19 at 14:19.

Just confirmed using now.sms (www.nosms.com) that this problem also exists using their software.

To summarize current findings:
    1. There is three different Client Provisioning solutions that all fails to send a VoIP profile that is activated without manually touching it on the phone.
    2. The problem is seen on VoIP release 2.0 phones (N80ie, E61i, E65) and E61 with release 1.0
    3. The problem seems to not be related to the XML provisioning document since the same behavior is also seen when using the original Nokia Example provisioning document from "Example VoIP settings with needed SIP and AP settings" from w9013.txt in Client_Provisioning_Registration_v1_7.zip
    4. Also, since the phones in all other cases silently discards configuration messages with errors the problem seems not to be caused by an ill formatted provisioning document

Based on this, I conclude that the probability is high that is a "feature" in the Nokia phone.

regards
    frodek
    Last edited by frodek; 2007-04-20 at 16:08.

Nokia Developer Expert

"Re: Provisioned VoIP profile not "active" until it has been "touched" on the phone "

If the key point was what is said in the subject, then the likely reason is that the APPREF reference - selection of the SIP profile in VoIP profile with "<parm name="TO-APPREF" value="sipref"/>" is not compiled correctly i.e. in this detail the used xml2wbxml tool is not compatible with the new referencing way used by S60 clients.

Thank you very much for solving this. I'm very grateful. I will also never never again blame others for my own mistakes

I've made at patch to libwbxml where I've added all new tags that I found in "OMA-DM-CP-2005-001R02-CR_CP-WLAN-.doc". I guess I still miss some VoIP-related tags. I'm specially interested in the coding of 'LR' since i suspect that this will solve one of my other problems (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=105397)

The patch can be found at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...odek.patch.txt

regards
    frodek
    Last edited by frodek; 2007-04-30 at 12:12.

Armed with this information, I've looked at how kannel does it's WBXML encoding and rather that use an external library, it does it internally. Shame, as I could have just updated a lib or two. Looking through the Kannel code, I think I've found the the place where the parameters are defined (ota_compiler.c). Before I plunge into this, has anyone done it already?

Hi frodek

I've decided to go down the route of using libwbxml. I'm probably being really dense but I'm didn't have much luck with your patch (kept getting syntax errors). I really have very little experience with patching and C code in general.

I just added the "APPREF" and "TO-APPREF" values to wbxml_tables.c it now works fine. Thanks for that.

Thank you very much for solving this. I'm very grateful. I will also never never again blame others for my own mistakes

I've made at patch to libwbxml where I've added all new tags that I found in "OMA-DM-CP-2005-001R02-CR_CP-WLAN-.doc". I guess I still miss some VoIP-related tags. I'm specially interested in the coding of 'LR' since i suspect that this will solve one of my other problems (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=105397)

The patch is included below (didn't find a way to upload this to this forum or to the libwxml home page).

regards
    frodek

--- wbxml_tables.c.org 2007-04-21 16:56:59.000000000 +0200
    +++ wbxml_tables.c 2007-04-22 15:04:24.000000000 +0200
    @@ -1232,6 +1232,10 @@
    { "type", "PXAUTHINFO", 0x00, 0x59 },
    { "type", "NAPAUTHINFO", 0x00, 0x5a },
    { "type", "ACCESS", 0x00, 0x5b }, /* OMA */
    +
    + /* From OMA-DM-CP-2005-001R02-CR_CP-WLAN-.doc */
    + { "type", "BEARERINFO", 0x00, 0x5c }, /* OMA */
    + { "type", "DNS-ADDRINFO", 0x00, 0x5d }, /* OMA */

{ "type", NULL, 0x01, 0x50 }, /* OMA */
    { "type", "PORT", 0x01, 0x53 }, /* OMA */
    @@ -1241,6 +1245,13 @@
    { "type", "APPAUTH", 0x01, 0x57 }, /* OMA */
    { "type", "RESOURCE", 0x01, 0x59 }, /* OMA */

+ { "type", "WLAN", 0x01, 0x5a }, /* OMA */
    + { "type", "SEC-SSID", 0x01, 0x5b }, /* OMA */
    + { "type", "EAP", 0x01, 0x5c }, /* OMA */
    + { "type", "CERT", 0x01, 0x5d }, /* OMA */
    + { "type", "WEPKEY", 0x01, 0x5e }, /* OMA */
    +
    /* Parm */
    { "name", NULL, 0x00, 0x05 },
    { "value", NULL, 0x00, 0x06 },
    @@ -1332,7 +1343,48 @@
    { "name", "TO-PROXY", 0x01, 0x39 }, /* OMA */
    { "name", "URI", 0x01, 0x3a }, /* OMA */
    { "name", "RULE", 0x01, 0x3b }, /* OMA */
    -
    +
    + { "name", "APPREF", 0x01, 0x3c }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "TO-APPREF", 0x01, 0x3d }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "PRI-SSID", 0x01, 0x3e }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "PRI-U-SSID", 0x01, 0x3f }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "PRI-H-SSID", 0x01, 0x40 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "S-SSID", 0x01, 0x41 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "S-U-SSID", 0x01, 0x42 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "NETMODE", 0x01, 0x43 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "SECMODE", 0x01, 0x44 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "EAPTYPE", 0x01, 0x45 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "USERNAME", 0x01, 0x46 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "PASSWORD", 0x01, 0x47 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "REALM", 0x01, 0x48 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "USE-PSEUD", 0x01, 0x49 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "ENCAPS", 0x01, 0x5b }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "VER-SER-REALM", 0x01, 0x4c }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "CLIENT-AUTH", 0x01, 0x4d }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "SES-VAL-TIME", 0x01, 0x4e }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "CIP-SUIT", 0x01, 0x4f }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "PEAP-V0", 0x01, 0x60 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "PEAP-V1", 0x01, 0x61 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "PEAP-V2", 0x01, 0x62 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "ISS-NAME", 0x01, 0x63 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "SUB-NAME", 0x01, 0x64 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "CERT-TYPE", 0x01, 0x65 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "SER-NUM", 0x01, 0x66 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "SUB-KEY-ID", 0x01, 0x67 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "THUMBPRINT", 0x01, 0x68 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "WPA-PRES-KEY-ASC", 0x01, 0x69 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "WPA-PRES-KEY-HEX", 0x01, 0x6a }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "WEPKEYIND", 0x01, 0x6b }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "WEPAUTHMODE", 0x01, 0x6c }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "LENGTH", 0x01, 0x6d }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "INDEX", 0x01, 0x6e }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "DATA", 0x01, 0x6f }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "WLANHAND", 0x01, 0x70 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "EDIT-SET", 0x01, 0x71 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "VIEW-SET", 0x01, 0x72 }, /* OMA */
    + { "name", "FORW-SET", 0x01, 0x73 }, /* OMA */
    +
    { NULL, NULL, 0x00, 0x00 }
    };

@@ -1396,6 +1448,8 @@
    { "MOBITEX-MPAK", 0x00, 0xb8 },
    { "CDMA2000-1X-SIMPLE-IP", 0x00, 0xb9 }, /* OMA */
    { "CDMA2000-1X-MOBILE-IP", 0x00, 0xba }, /* OMA */
    + { "3G-GSM", 0x00, 0xbb }, /* OMA */
    + { "WLAN", 0x00, 0xbc }, /* OMA */

/* LINKSPEED */
    { "AUTOBAUDING", 0x00, 0xc5 },

Hi frodek
    kept getting syntax errors). I really have very little experience with patching and C code in general.
    Sorry, I should have explained how to apply this patch.
    1. Save the patch-above in a file.
    2. Unpack the wbxml2-0.9.2.tar.gz
    3. cd wbxml2-0.9.2/src
    4. patch -p0 < patch-file-name

frodek

Sorry, I should have explained how to apply this patch.
    1. Save the patch-above in a file.
    2. Unpack the wbxml2-0.9.2.tar.gz
    3. cd wbxml2-0.9.2/src
    4. patch -p0 < patch-file-name

frodek
    Followed you instructions (actually, I read up on patch before but tried this again just in case) but still got the error:
    =========================
    server:~/wbxml2-0.9.2/src# patch -p0 < wbxml_tables_patch.diff
    patching file wbxml_tables.c
    patch: **** malformed patch at line 6: { "type", "PXAUTHINFO", 0x00, 0x59 },
    =============================

Followed you instructions (actually, I read up on patch before but tried this again just in case) but still got the error:
    =========================
    server:~/wbxml2-0.9.2/src# patch -p0 < wbxml_tables_patch.diff
    patching file wbxml_tables.c
    patch: **** malformed patch at line 6: { "type", "PXAUTHINFO", 0x00, 0x59 },
    =============================
    Seems that some 'empty lines' has been removed in the above listing. I've removed the inline-patch and uploaded it to http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...odek.patch.txt instead. Good luck.

frodek